Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY way to keep small fish out of water changer

Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!
If your only changing h2o, no problem, but if you're wanting to clean out debris, then your method may not work so well. Maybe there's a plastic piece with narrow slots that will keep your fish safe, but allow you to vacuum more efficiently. I'm pretty new here so, perhaps my thoughts are a touch askew. Seems like a simple engineering issue to me though. I've been having similar thoughts cause I've got some tiny barbs to consider when I clean my tank too.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try the bucket at the end of hose. That way if anything goes in it will end up there. I lost 3 fishes the same way.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually don't vacuum the substrate much since its a planted tank only whatever big things I see on the top.

I may try the bucket thing. I usually have the hose watering the plants outside so not sure how I'd get that setup.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats you plant set up look like? If its a regular garden you can put the bucket and make a canal in the dirt. Help guide the water
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I usually switch from flower beds to fruit trees ands sometimes the lawn. I'll try the canal thing thanks!

Lol I sucked up 3 more last night into my bucket. I'm beginning to think they're doing it on purpose to mess with me haha
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe they watched finding nemo while you where out
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

First you were all like whoa
Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Steve, I wanted to let you know I just picked up a new syphon from petsmart. Not only does it come with a one way ball valve bulb in the middle it comes with a screen inside that large part that's put in the water. Here's a link it's tough to see in the picture, but I just bought this last night. It seems my idea is already in place and being sold, there goes another Million dollar idea, just a little to late...

biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a guppy fry that I sucked up and I didn't realize it. Then the poor fry had to live in a bucket of dirty water for two days because I had no clue it was there. However, today that fry is the prettiest fish in my tank!

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com