DIY way to keep small fish out of water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!

Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!

If your only changing h2o, no problem, but if you're wanting to clean out debris, then your method may not work so well. Maybe there's a plastic piece with narrow slots that will keep your fish safe, but allow you to vacuum more efficiently. I'm pretty new here so, perhaps my thoughts are a touch askew. Seems like a simple engineering issue to me though. I've been having similar thoughts cause I've got some tiny barbs to consider when I clean my tank too.

Try the bucket at the end of hose. That way if anything goes in it will end up there. I lost 3 fishes the same way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually don't vacuum the substrate much since its a planted tank only whatever big things I see on the top.

I may try the bucket thing. I usually have the hose watering the plants outside so not sure how I'd get that setup.

Whats you plant set up look like? If its a regular garden you can put the bucket and make a canal in the dirt. Help guide the water

I usually switch from flower beds to fruit trees ands sometimes the lawn. I'll try the canal thing thanks!

Lol I sucked up 3 more last night into my bucket. I'm beginning to think they're doing it on purpose to mess with me haha

Hey Steve, I wanted to let you know I just picked up a new syphon from petsmart. Not only does it come with a one way ball valve bulb in the middle it comes with a screen inside that large part that's put in the water. Here's a link it's tough to see in the picture, but I just bought this last night. It seems my idea is already in place and being sold, there goes another Million dollar idea, just a little to late...

biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

I had a guppy fry that I sucked up and I didn't realize it. Then the poor fry had to live in a bucket of dirty water for two days because I had no clue it was there. However, today that fry is the prettiest fish in my tank!

Hey Steve, I wanted to let you know I just picked up a new syphon from petsmart. Not only does it come with a one way ball valve bulb in the middle it comes with a screen inside that large part that's put in the water. Here's a link it's tough to see in the picture, but I just bought this last night. It seems my idea is already in place and being sold, there goes another Million dollar idea, just a little to late...

biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

Haha bummer. Maybe your invention could be a larger one with a 50ft hose!

Although looking at it gave me an idea. I'm going to try an old water bottle cut in half with holes on the bottom. Then slide it over the siphon tube thing. If it doesn't work oh well just a plastic bottle lol

Try rubber banding a nylon stocking over suction end. I do this on my betta fry tanks. Works well. Or pantyhose.

Try rubber banding a nylon stocking over suction end. I do this on my betta fry tanks. Works well. Or pantyhose.

That's a good idea. Does the flow get restricted at all?

I actually did a test run last weekend with a fish net rubber banded and worked pretty well. The holes were big enough for the poops to go through lol.

That's a good idea. Does the flow get restricted at all?

I actually did a test run last weekend with a fish net rubber banded and worked pretty well. The holes were big enough for the poops to go through lol.

It probably would if cleaning gravel, but if only doing wc you'd have good flow. You can also stretch the material tighter to increase flow.

With my aqueon water changer I rubber band a filter media bag around the siphon tube with about 2/3 of the length of the bag still inside the tube. I can safely clean my gravel and it wont suck up any of my baby ghost shrimp that I can never see. When I'm done siphoning I empty the filter bag into a bowl of water and check for any living critters.

Back
Top Bottom