Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2003, 04:42 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Wow, awesome. I never heard of a Lee's Specimen container much less heard of using them for a DIY over flow. Now that I see them I recognize them as the boxes the LFS uses to hold the bag when netting fish. Great idea! Thx for sharing.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:52 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Drs. Foster&Smith have the lrg and sm speciment boxes and U-tubes. Price for all three w/o shipping is $14.87. Is that cheap or what?

Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The only potential problem I can see with using these is that they are very thin and brittle. Every one we have at the store is cracked somewhere. I admit they live a rough life there . Once in the tank, the Lee boxes should do great. I wonder how to cut the weir without breaking it though? A router would do a fine job I'm sure, but I don't know how well they'll stand up to a table saw. If you build one, I'd like to know exactly how you did it. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it. I think it's a great idea.
Logan J
Old 02-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

One design I saw did not use slots. Holes were drilled about a 1/2" below the rim instead. I think they would stand up to gentle drilling better than a router or table saw. You're right about the thin and brittle part. Be a bad thing to have the outside one break on you. Although the damage would "only" be a few gallons on the floor.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Logan, I posted a link some DIY plans for this on the bottom of the first page.

Maybe it will expalain how to keep from damaging the box's.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:01 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

That would probably work. It might help to hit the edges of the bit with a file so that it scrapes rather than cutting. I think it's gonna be hard to drill too. But, as Mark said, the keyword is GENTLE. If you could put a block of wood behind the part you're drilling to support it, that will lessen the chances of cracking it. I'd really like to see the finished product...might have to build one myself.
Logan J
Old 02-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Here's some pics of the 10g sump. Pretty it isn't, but it seems to be working so far. Bear in mind that it's under a 20g so there isn't a lot of water to catch if the pump quits. The skimmer is in the propagation tanks at the moment. It sits in the middle and is a little smaller than a Seaclone...about the same height though. I thought I had solved the problem with the bubbles coming from the skimmer return, but I still get a few. The 10g was my SW tank hence the sandbed. I left the substrate in it in the hope that all the life (bacteria, worms, pods, ect...) would survive and help keep my nitrates down. As I wasn't able to use my old HOB fuge, I dumped the contents of it into the sump.
Anyone with ideas about controlling the bubbles? I thought about making a acrylic box with some baffles.
Logan J
Old 02-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to freshmaker
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I will keep you posted as things progress. I think I'll give it a go either way. I might stay away from the wet/dry and just go with a refugium/sump. Either way I'll take pictures along the way and post.

By all means let's not end this discussion any time soon. If anyone has any ideas, keep them coming.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:15 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone with ideas about controlling the bubbles? I thought about making a acrylic box with some baffles.
Logan, how about building a small acrylic box and pipe your sump supply into that? It would act as a baffle allowing the air bubbles to enter the water at a higher level then the pump intake. That should help.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, I have the sump supply under control. I'm using (try not to laugh) a very small Rubbermaid bowl which is working very much like what you are talking about. The bubbles are coming from the skimmer output. Very tiny microbubbles that seem to make a beeline for the pump intake. Maybe I need to put a box under the skimmer to see if it will help. I think the trick will be to slow the water down enough so these bubbles can rise to the surface. Appreciate any ideas on how to do this.
Logan J

Tags
diy, dry, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com