DIY wet/dry filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've been following this tutorial.
Cheap and Easy DIY aquarium filter - YouTube

My question is where do I get a pump and what type of pump?

My tank is a 40 gallon breeder that will be heavily planted and I only have two hobs but can not afford a nice canister filter.

However, every sump pump I find at the lfs is more than a high end canister filter. So I wonder if all this is actually even cost effective but I know I want the high capacity media loads that are possible with this setup. I already have the spare tank and the drawers, all the media and knowhow. I will be doing a 2" over the back overflow.

I was looking at
Amazon.com: Superior Pump 91025 1/5 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump: Kitchen & Bath Fixtures
or
Amazon.com: Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump: Kitchen & Bath Fixtures
Are there cheap kio pond filters or something at a local hardware store?

But even those are fairly expensive considering after pvc a canister filter is most likely cheaper. I would like to replace my whisper 40 and aquaclear 70. Or do you guys think it would be better just to pick up another 40$ aquaclear 70?

My tank has a ton of water flow already im just looking to provide a lot of extra filtration.

If I use a power head how would I set it up to draw water into the filter and then take it back into the tank? Since this wont be a seal filter I can't just tie in the output to the powerhead which would draw from the intake via suction. Unless I used the DIY 4" pvp canister setup from the same guy.

I'm welcome to either solution but if there is little flow then there is very slow filtration wouldn't that make the DIy rig pointless? I'm new to all this so I'm wondering. Also that would require placing it above the tank which is fine I can make a mount and lay it horizontal which was my original thoughts be didnt know pumps need to be below water lever whereas powerheads are above.

Thanks I appreciate it, I'm looking into maybe adding an aquaclear 110 which boasts a 500gph flow rate and it's only 60$. I've always been a canister guy until I got my new home and larger tank. Being on a fairly strict budget HOB filters seemed the way to go and loving them as a first time user. My last tank had a fluval 405 on it.

The budget is what it's making me look into DIY but I'm not sure if it is actually cheaper.

A 40 gallon breeder, can be well filtered with an AC70. you can significantly increase the bio by adding a second sponge. If it is planted, then, even that is overkill.

I'm weak when it comes to overkill. I like LOTS of filtration, especially since fluorite fogs my tank if you look at it funny. The main reason as well as I want to start a QT plant tank and use either my whisper 40 or AC 70 on it and eventually breed some shrimp if it's possible.

cyris69 said:
My tank has a ton of water flow already im just looking to provide a lot of extra filtration.

If I use a power head how would I set it up to draw water into the filter and then take it back into the tank? Since this wont be a seal filter I can't just tie in the output to the powerhead which would draw from the intake via suction. Unless I used the DIY 4" pvp canister setup from the same guy.

I'm welcome to either solution but if there is little flow then there is very slow filtration wouldn't that make the DIy rig pointless? I'm new to all this so I'm wondering. Also that would require placing it above the tank which is fine I can make a mount and lay it horizontal which was my original thoughts be didnt know pumps need to be below water lever whereas powerheads are above.

A pump and power head is basically the same thing. Normally a power head does less gph. I think after watching these you should go with an aqua clear.
The problem with DIY things is one you don't know how its going to turn out, so you may not be happy with it. Second instance is how well its going to do its job. I only try these things when I have the money for them. So with that being said you may just be throwing money away and taking a chance on it. If you do try it let me know how well it works ;)

Thanks for the advice Andrew, I think I will just stick to the safe tested route for now until my budget allows me to be creative with my utilities. I do plan on making both of these DIY's at some point but money is not dictating right now after further research.

I always figured DIY was supposed to be on the low budget side I guess maybe not so much when it comes to fish keeping. I can understand it maybe for extra control or specialized equipment.

Your welcome
I like DIY stuff so maybe ill try it at some point. But that canister thing he made was huge and he said it would only do 100 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom