Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
DIY wet/dry sump idea

I'm not sure this belongs here but here goes.

I'm thinking of getting a pre-drilled 180 gallon tank with overflows. I'd like to build a wet/dry sump filter. I'm thinking of using a 50 gallon rubbermaid container for my sump. I'd then like to take a 10 gallon rubbermaid tote, cut the bottom out and put in eggcrate, make a divider plate for the incoming water that then runs over some floss that sits on some more eggcrate for a media box. I'm gonna put another 10 gallon tote under it to catch the water that runs through the media box. This tote on the bottom should get a lot of the gunk to settle into it and it will act as a divider to the rest of the sump. Since a 180 has 2 overflow boxes with 2 sets of holes drilled in it, I'd like to use a Durso pipe drain in each one and have a return pipe in each one. The Dursos would both be run to the media filter while 2 800+ gph sump pumps return water to both overflows that will have the water directed towards the middle of the tank. I'd like to put a heater in the sump as well as 2 HOT Magnums with the micron filters for flossing. Does this sound like a good idea? Can anyone comment on problems that may arise?
dax29 is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, dry, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com