Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

you think its bad there, you should see the prices here.
since there is only one type of LR available in hawaii, and its from molokai, it costs something like $7-8/lb

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Dang! Mine was 7/lb and it's nothing fancy. At least in Hawaii you get semi-attractive rock (I think.. lol)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

nah, its actually pretty ugly. /all the nice stuff is right off shore, but illegal to pull up
Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

change of plans. i need the small filter for another project, so i have to move a bunch of stuff today. looks like this wont be a low flow trickle filter anymore.

time to put in the big boy

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

WOW, the wal-mart plastic drawer technique for a wet/dry is great. Are you not concerned about supporting the middle of the tank? My overflow is also super loud, I like your idea for a siphon overflow, seems like it would be quieter. I think my fish is going crazy because of the noise!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

supporting the middle of what tank? the display or the sump?

my overflow is actually pretty quiet. i have a piece of dense filter padding rolled into the tall vertical pipe of the overflow. it cuts down on any slurping or gurgling noises from the overflow.

i may be doubling up on my overflows soon. im still debating on the next step for this project. im either going to add a second overflow, or just replace the current one with a bigger one, and turn the return into a spraybar on the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodon king View Post
and turn the return into a spraybar on the bottom of the tank.
pardon the ignorance, but why would you put it on the bottom? I have mine on top and thought that was the point, for surface agitation... am i missing something?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Consider it pardoned

You are partially correct. Surface agitation can be achieved via the spraybar. However, as the wet/dry is not the only form of filtration and water movement on the tank, it is not necessary for this purpose.
By reducing the pipe size and putting the spray bar on the bottom of the tank, it will keep the bare floor clean of detritus and debris, and force the debris into the overflow, or one of the other filters.

However, there has been another change of plans. I have been experimenting with a bottom siphoning overflow, which will serve that same purpose. When I get the design worked out, I will be changing over.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

oh ok... makes sense then lol... i didnt realize you had any other filtration on that tank. I gotcha... im interested in seeing these plans. I have a wet/dry trickle filter, but i never had any luck with it before. Ive been thinking of putting it back on since all i have are my 305 and 405 on my 150...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah, lots of other filtration.
The tank its on is a 40 Breeder

Filtration:

40gal wet/dry (w/ FW refugium)
2x Aquaclear110 HOB
AquaClear30 power head

Tags
diy, dry, filter, ick, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com