Do it yourself refugium questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went and tryed to build a custom refugium using a 20 gallon tall tank. I bought arcrylic lexan panels from home depot and aquarium safe silicone. First I tryed cutting the panel by hand which is not easy. Then I tryed cutting them with a circular saw since I dont have a table saw which was also not easy but It worked. Cut all the panels I needed and started to glue them in. All home depot had was the hand tubes of the aquarium safe silicone so when it came to applying the silicone to the bubble trap area it was pretty impossible with it all being within an inch or so from each other. The refuge and skimmer areas were no problem with the hand sized tubes, but with the bubble trap area I think I need a caulk gun sized tube so I can attach some air line tubing to the tip to get that extra length needed for these tight areas.

I ended up working it in there but very sloppy. Would the air tube at the end of the caulk gun tube work? My other question is could I just eliminate the bubbloe trap all together?

Here is my first go at it using the methods just mentioned, I had to take it all back apart and cut all the silicone off because after it all dryed I went to water test it and realized the panels were way to thin and bowed when filled with water. Made the whole thing not work right. Now I am going to have real glass cut to size and try again.

Is my design good or bad? From left to right goes return pump-skimmer-refuge. Can anyone reccomend a better design using my tank size? Also what is a good brand of aquarium safe silicone to buy? And what website to get it from? I can't find anyone local with caulk gun sized tubes.

The 12" baffle seems pretty tall remember you have to leave room for water to drain back into the sump.

Back
Top Bottom