Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you need a tank back ground?

I didn't have a back ground, and didn't wanta pay $20+ for 1 till I figure out everything I want. Anyways! I had this bed sheet that looked like the galaxy.( Pretty cool) so I fold the sheet up and taped it to the back of my tank. Works better if you cut it. But mine is only temp. Just wanted to share it with ya'll. Blue or black looks really good too! Find my pic on here and check it out. You wouldn't even know it's a sheet. Lol!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice one!

I don't think one is strictly needed (unless blocking sunlight), I just like the look.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are right they are not needed. But I like my fish to feel at home. Where it's dark. And I don't like seeing all my hoses and plug wires. But. That's just me.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't use one just so I get more of an illusion of depth in my tank.
it's like looking into the black abyss !!!!!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I usually use poster board from the dollar store. Great idea on the sheet!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use car tint and it works great. Its a solid yet semi transparent black and hold up nice.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

that's funny you mention car tint, I was just looking at 50% tint myself and applying it to the back of the tank. cheap and simple
Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In my younger years I've seen any utilize a background from a simple piece of tin foil
you can just tape it up as is or give it texture by crumbling it up kind of adds to it.
this day and age a lot of us paint the back glass , I've went far and beyond with rhino liner

it looks good and is durable now I will always use this method
I have a feeder tank with a big crack across the rear glass if it wasn't rhino coated I'm sure it would have leaked even fail 4 years later it still holds up .
we all have our own ideas for backgrounds I'm tempted on doing a glass etching than add rhino coat to make it pop .
Old 11-30-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
In my younger years I've seen any utilize a background from a simple piece of tin foil
you can just tape it up as is or give it texture by crumbling it up kind of adds to it.
this day and age a lot of us paint the back glass , I've went far and beyond with rhino liner

it looks good and is durable now I will always use this method
I have a feeder tank with a big crack across the rear glass if it wasn't rhino coated I'm sure it would have leaked even fail 4 years later it still holds up .
we all have our own ideas for backgrounds I'm tempted on doing a glass etching than add rhino coat to make it pop .
Now, That! would be so cool! So many ideas with etching. I've thought of doing that to the back side of an old mirror and putting it on the back of the tank. The hard part is what etch.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks good, I even thought about getting felt drapes, in black, nice soft background. currently I don't use anything and the back room just adds depth to the tank , you don't see the water line so it looks like the fish are just floating.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com