Do you need to have a Skimmer inside of your Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 135g fowlr tank and want to build a 40g sump. Do I need to have a skimmer inside the sump? I will have a section for micro balls. Any input would be appreciated. Thx

The skimmer doesnt have to be physically inside the sump. There are plenty options available that work on systems of that size that don't need to sit inside the sump. I would still recommend having some type of skimmer.

Having the skimmer in the sump hides it from sight and you don't have to turn it off when taking off the cup to clean it out. You can let it run and not have to turn it off and on which would be a hassle and some can get unadjusted like that. You can hang the skimmer on a side of the sump and put the pump inside if you don't have enough room.

Gotcha. Either way, running a skimmer in the sump can be better, it's 1 less thing that can overflow :cool: But like someone already mentioned, you can run the slimmer outside and run a pump in the sump. I would check out some reef octopus skimmers. I'm about to get rid of my HOB and buy an in-sump once my new tank is up and running...

SaltwaterNuB said:
Would you suggest a different size for my 135g tank?

Usually good to go as big as you can fit. I'm building a 30 gallon sump for my 75...

Perfect, I too am going to get rid of my hob and canister filters. Ive heard a sump will make a huge difference and very easy to maintain.

SaltwaterNuB said:
Perfect, I too am going to get rid of my hob and canister filters. Ive heard a sump will make a huge difference and very easy to maintain.

Yup! No taking media out of canisters and hob anymore lol...

Back
Top Bottom