Do you think this will hold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have finished building the frame for my first DIY stand and would like som opinions on it. It is for a 30 gal tank (36x12x16). The stand I built a bit bigger in depth to provide more stability (I have a four year old and don't want her to accidentaly pull it over on herself).

The dimensions at the widest points are 37x19x30. I plan on using half inch MDF as a skin on the sides front and top.

I was hoping to get some general input on my design and hear any opinions on things that I may have missed or done incorrectly.

Here are the pics...

Hi Deli! I am not of the builder sort, but I have put a few things together here at the church. (sets, stages, ect..) Looks like you did a great job on the stand. Looks like it will be very stable. I would offer this suggestion. If you have 2 more peices of 2x4, how bout putting 1 on each end in the middle for extra tank support. It shouldnt make it to much heavier, and can only give you more support for the middle. Well that's just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. It looks great though. Nice a clean so far. :wink:

Looks like it should hold to me.
Good job.

You should have seen the one I made for my 180gal.
Now that thing was HEAVY!

We're talking about less than 500 lbs here...that will be fine. Did you screw it or nail it? If I were building it, I might get a couple of angle pieces and attach the lateral 2x4s to the end rail for rigidity. They'll run you about $0.30 each and you could hid them on the inside.

Did you screw it or nail it?
I used 3 inch exterior deck screws and wood glue on all joints.

I actually started putting the MDF on last night after talking to my brother with construction experience about it. The MDF is only 1/4 inch thick though. Although I had no problems standing on top of the stand last night...

deli_conker said:
I used 3 inch exterior deck screws and wood glue on all joints.

yeah, i'd guess that stand isn't going anywhere. :wink: looks great so far! be sure and post a pic of the finished stand :D

That stand would hold a much larger tank with little difficulty aswell. Very well done.

I would have used 4x4s all the way around, but I'd rather have the thing support 8 times the weight it'll ever imagine taking then being unsafe :)

nice build none the less :)

Excellent work. This should hold up a 30 gal without any problems!

& William, 4x4 is WAY overkill of a 30 gal stand. The compressive load rating (ie the load on a leg) for a 3 ft 4x4 (softwood) is over 15,000 lbs! <This is from my deck building book> As far as racking load is concerned (ie the sideway motion, or how wobbly the stand will be), as long as the entire frame is solid (you need to glue & screw the entire frame - or do fancy woodworking joints) 2x4's will hold as well. I wouldn't bother with 4x4 unless you have a 250 gal or something monstrous!

Excellent work. This should hold up a 30 gal without any problems!

& William, 4x4 is WAY overkill for a 30 gal stand. The compressive load rating (ie the load on a leg) for a 3 ft 4x4 (softwood) is over 15,000 lbs! <This is from my deck building book> As far as racking load is concerned (ie the sideway motion, or how wobbly the stand will be), as long as the entire frame is solid (you need to glue & screw the entire frame - or do fancy woodworking joints) 2x4's will hold as well. I wouldn't bother with 4x4 unless you have a 250 gal or something monstrous!

I used 4x4's to build the stand for my 180gal.
I could jump up and down on this thing .

The fish in the tank will die of old age before this stand gives out...LOL

I'm almost done with the stand as a whole. All I have to do is put on the doors and paint it black. I used quarter inch MDF for everything. Four small hinges and a hook and eye latch and I'll be ready to start my new tank...

Thanks for all opinons.

Back
Top Bottom