Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Forgot to mention... make sure that when you plan out your sump, make sure that you leave a lot of room for the main return pump. That's the first compartment that will drain, so if it's on the small side, and you don't have an auto top-off unit, you'll run into problems with running the pump dry.

The bubble traps only need to be wide enough to get a sponge in there to clean it out. I like about an inch wide... but others would suggest different widths as well.

Next sump I make will be out of acrylic with an external pump & built in auto-top off unit... along with a fuge as well. 8) I first need to upgrade my 4' tank to a 6' so that I can fit all the stuff underneath!

Old 07-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great looking sump! I have a question on the baffles. Could the baffles be cut from acrylic or plexiglass, and then siliconed into a glass tank?

Old 07-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

do acrylic, plexi will yellow and become brittle with age...

my question has to do with the "t" sectiono and ball valve from your return pump into the fuge area... what purpose does that fill? Just brining it back to the sump due to having a beefy pump?

I was thinking of doing something close to this but have the overflow dump site, baffle, Protein skmmer area, bubble trap section, fuge, baffle return...

My overflow is 2x 1" pipes, with a mag 9.5 I put a ball joint on both the pump return and one of the overflows... i can always adjust the pvc and put in the "t" and ballvalve.

TIA
Old 07-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
howd you fit your hand in to silicone the middle baffles?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykpoz
do acrylic, plexi will yellow and become brittle with age...
If I use acrylic, will silicone hold it in place? Or would I need some other sealant, for bonding acrylic to glass?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

you should be able to use the DAP silicone that he used in his project, or another marine safe acrylic bonding agent....

I'd get someone else to answer that for sure...
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykpoz
the "t" sectiono and ball valve from your return pump into the fuge area... what purpose does that fill? Just brining it back to the sump due to having a beefy pump?
The "T" section is there to feed the fuge area. Since the fuge baffle is the highest, water has to be pumped in there, and then gravity just brings the water back down into the pump area. This way, I can control how much water flow goes to my fuge. The pump can handle everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101
howd you fit your hand in to silicone the middle baffles?
Just make sure to do the middle part of the baffle first. That's the one that needs the most strength since it's up in the air. The other two on the sides can just be sealed on one side alone, and then as far as your hand can reach on the other. Those just need to be strong enough not to bend back and forth since they're sitting directly on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 20
If I use acrylic, will silicone hold it in place? Or would I need some other sealant, for bonding acrylic to glass?
Nothing can really bond acrylic to glass. All you can really do is to use a lot of silicone to keep the acrylic from moving. Just know that you might have to empty the sump every few months or so to reapply new silicone.

I've wanted to try to make some kind of auxiliary support system for acrylic baffles... like some pieces of small wood or plastic or something that will keep the baffles upright and spaced apart. Think of it like some of the old metal ice cube trays. They used to have a plain water pan, and then a grid that you stuck in to separate the cubes. If you could do that to the sump in some way, you wouldn't really need to smother the baffles in so much silicone. Just some inspiration if someone wants to try something like this.

HTH
Old 07-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG2182
I've wanted to try to make some kind of auxiliary support system for acrylic baffles... like some pieces of small wood or plastic or something that will keep the baffles upright and spaced apart.
What about designing small supports for the acrylic out of fairly thick glass?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry for the noob comment....but i see 4 compartments and you only describ 3. If the fuge is the far right compartment, what is the one with the LR rubble in it at the far left? Just a smidge confused about that.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to VWVR6Love
I know i am bringin this post back from the dead, but i just had to chime in and say that is one awesome sump/refugium!! i love it so much i had to build one for my 100Gallon system i am building!

I know its not as pretty as yours! but i hope it works as good as you designed yours! thanks for such a great design and idea!!!

Tags
40 gallon, project, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com