Done!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just finished up installing the last screw in my "beast" a few minutes ago. Thought I would take a few pics to show it off. I still have some last second wires to tie down and take care off, but other than that, it is ready to run.

I actually haven't been able to burn it in yet as the UPS man hasn't delivered my bulbs yet. Should get them in this afternoon.

looks very nice!

Have you decided if you're going to paint/stain or leave it natural?

Have you decided if you're going to paint/stain or leave it natural?

I am thinking I may just leave it natural. I actually think the pine looks great. It won't match my stand (black stand) but that is ok. Since it is going in my store and it will be hung above the aquarium I actually think it will look pretty good.

Now if that darn UPS man would get here...

:evil:

Well I thought I was complete, but I have been unable to get the bulbs to fire up. When I turn them on, they are extremely dim. Almost like they are not getting enough voltage to them. I hooked them up to another known working fixure and they lit right up, so I know the bulbs are good. It is either my wiring job, or a bad ballast. I am using this diagram to hook them up:
wire11.gif

Obviously I am using the one of the left, the compact diagram.

All be darn if I can get them to work though. I connect each pair of reds coming out of the ballast to make one red wire, just like in the diagram. Then I connect the one red to a pair of wires (Black and Blue) coming out of the endcap. I then use the last red to do the same for the other endcap making sure I am using the same colors (Black and Blue). Then I take the remaining two wires out of each endcap (Brown and Yellow-Black) and connect it to the common yellow wire which leads back to the ballast, again, just like the diagram shows.

Any suggestions??

I wish I knew more about electrical stuff... if you had a computer in there, I could probably fix it! Once you get into circuits and all that, I'm worthless :(

Got it!! I had the wrong darn pair of wires coming out of the endcap connected to the ballast.

Here she is!!

Purty! Lookin spiffy biggen... how much noise are you getting with the fans?

You know, its funny that you mention this. Every time I have fired them up, they were dead silent. You have to remember, though, that this is in my retail store and it isn't exactly as quite as a nursery or anything. But then this morning when I went to do another burn in test with the MH in place, one of the fans started vibrating! I ended up just kind flicking and pushing in on it with my finger and it stopped. I may have to take your advice and get those rubber washers though. I don't want to have to hit and kick the thing every time it starts making noise.

BTW, I will be finalizing the install of the canopy tomorrow. A buddy of mine and I worked on figuring out how to hang it today and nearly finished it. I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow with our progress. We will finally be complete and my reef can have a great little lighting system. It has been in the dark since this morning so I am sure the coral are ready to "see the light".

hey biggen did you see my finished canopy? you helped me with the switch. its in my gallery, i can get more picks if you would like here's one. thanks for the help but i did put a switch in but i dont use it i ended up using timers instead. the thing is bright... i had to build a cover so that it didnt blind me while on the couch lol. thanks again. your hood looks great. does it get hot under there?

Cool canopy JJ!! Much bigger than mine!! That thing would probably retail for around $800 with that many lights in it. :D

does it get hot under there?

I have zero issues with heat. The fans blow out most of the heat and whatever is left over rises out the top of the unit.

Back
Top Bottom