Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Double tank stand

I want to build a stand for 2 tanks. On top will be a 55 gallon and on bottom will be a 20 long. Here is pic of my design. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3135807997.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	207733   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3778124907.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	207734  

Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

While I am confident this design would hold those two tanks I would add supports for the bottom shelf so that you are not relying just on screws and glue to hold the bottom tank. Think four additional legs that go just inside of your current four legs from underneath the bottom shelf to the floor. You could also add similar supports going from the bottom of the top shelf to the top of the bottom shelf. These supports aren't really needed for support but would help in attaching the top shelf to the legs and would provide additional side load strength. I hope that is clearer than mud, my technical writing skills are lacking.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I get what your saying. Maybe ill upgrade to a 4x4 and notch out a slot for the second self instead of using 2 2x4's. I think it would look better.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRedeemer View Post
I get what your saying. Maybe ill upgrade to a 4x4 and notch out a slot for the second self instead of using 2 2x4's. I think it would look better.
4x4s warp bad. You would he much better suited with 2 2x4s.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It looks fine but consider working room. It is horrible to try and work in a tank without enough clearance to easily do it. I would think close to 1ft of clearance would be the minimum I would want for working room on a display tank.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #6

You will need to either put cross bracing in the back or a piece of plywood to prevent the stand from "racking". Racking is side to side movement that over time may make the stand collapse. This is especially important because the 55 gallon is going on top, making the whole set up top heavy. You can drill the plywood for hoses, electrical etc.

You will be fine with 2x4 construction, I would also add 2x4 cross braces under each shelf at 16" on center. This will support the tank better and help keep everything tight.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

For clearance on the bottom tank the highest part that sticks up is my lid when open all the way so I took that and added 4 inches so I have plenty of working room. The stand is also deep enough so that the hob filter is inside the stand. As for racking the 2x4's holding the second self up will prevent the side to side motion. My gf has a cat that likes looking at my tank and hitting it. Even though I yell at him. So around the bottom tank I will have a thin acrylic sheet on front and both sides that will be on hinges and have a latch to keep the cat off the tank and allow access to all sides.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRedeemer View Post
As for racking the 2x4's holding the second self up will prevent the side to side motion.
You need the diagonal support to prevent it from racking, I was just giving you advice from my experience in construction.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA fish View Post
You need the diagonal support to prevent it from racking, I was just giving you advice from my experience in construction.
I know. I just don't really want to close in the back of the stand. I could run a 2x4 diagonally across the back. Make a x running from corner to corner. That would leave the back open and give the added support. Think that would work?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Yes that's called cross bracing. You could also get 1"x1/8"x by whatever length you need metal at Home Depot and use that so it will be less noticeable. BTW, I live in NY will be moving to Richmond by the first of December.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com