dreaded Noob question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rick_higgins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I am new to this site but not so new to the addicting world of fish. I am going to *attempt* to build an aquarium to fit an odd wall in my house....
It it an L shaped wall that is 54" long by 18" deep....
Background: I work for a chemical company that makes epoxies/resins/silicones for many industries including zoos and aquariums... in fact I lecture and teach epoxy and laminating so I have that at least going for me.... but the rest.. not so much! lol
I have two sheets of 3/4" glass cut for the front (54" x 30") as well as one side (30" x 18") since the other two sides are against walls of that odd space in my house, I was planning to make an aquarium out of plywood/epoxy with the glass front/side butted together and the framing of the wood on the top/bottom and two sides of the glass where it meets the wall and the back and other side of this 'box' made out of plywood.... Somebody warned against making a plywood tank out of anything larger than 48" so even though I am perfectly capable of wrapping this in fiberglass and epoxy I am now more than a little worried.... Any thoughts before I proceed would be awesome! As an aside, procuring more glass for me would be a stop to the project as it is the one cost I cannot mitigate so well... wife with a shotgun and all :)

Hi, welcome to AA. Must be someone out there. I'm afraid I treat any new tank as an excuse to buy a bigger one (and sort out where to put it later...).

Look on diyfishkeepers or the diy tank section of mfk. People have done very large plywood tanks.

Welcome to the circus BTW.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom