Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I heard that the tannins also lower your ph significantly...anyone know if that is true as the last time I didn't boil the driftwood was probably 8-10 years ago so I don't remember.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cvbloke
What about the salt dispenser in the dishwasher???
I'm not familiar with this either...

Old 08-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
Huh? That must be a UK thing. I have never heard of a salt dispenser in a dishwasher before.
Well, most dishwashers here have to have salts added to a special compartment to soften the water which stops the water leaving marks on the crockery and the machine's interior walls...

There must me something like that over there, has someone got their manual to hand?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cvbloke
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
Huh? That must be a UK thing. I have never heard of a salt dispenser in a dishwasher before.
Well, most dishwashers here have to have salts added to a special compartment to soften the water which stops the water leaving marks on the crockery and the machine's interior walls...

There must me something like that over there, has someone got their manual to hand?
He is referring to a rinse agent like Jet Dry, which are made with a high concentration of non-ionic salts.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess you learn something new everyday! I don't know what you would do about it. I just know that I have heard others swear by the whole dishwasher cleaning on driftwood with no ill effects.

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was given some drift wood that was very heavy and seems like it could be really nice, but I was afraid to use it due to its unknown history. Then I found a resin driftwood advertised on the web and it looked really nice and like it could solve the rotting, leaching, and other problems and still look realistic. I ordered one to try, but it hasn't come yet. Anyone have experience with these resin driftwoods? I'm hoping to get Java Ferns to grown on it.

Tags
drift, drift wood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com