Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Drill tank understanding

I am attempting to do my first drilled tank to a sump setup. I have been googling for several days now on people setups and everyone is so different and it makes it a little confusing to me. I made a diagram of what I think is going on in the setup. Is my setup wrong or am i missing something possibly?

I think I am a tad worried about if the pump fails what happens in the setup.

Feed back?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AQPlumb.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	226604  

Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It will essentially work, what you have drawn up. There is no need really for a cutoff valve on the drain, so long as the inlet is high enough up in the tank. If your pump fails, nothing will happen, except the drain will run until it can't get any more water. So long as you always leave room in the sump to handle whatever water drains when the pump is off, you will be fine. The inlet for the drain for that reason needs to be near the top of the tank. This is often done with a durso standpipe, and an acrylic overflow. You also want to make sure you have a small hole in our return pipe that is above the water so that if you do lose the pump, you don't siphon water back out of the tank through the outlet. A small hole above the waterline will break the siphon.

Also you want to make sure your return pump is sized such that the drain will always be faster than what the return pump can return.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Make the overflow out much bigger
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use 2" out and 1" back in on my 180
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So would it be best to use the 90 elbow on the return and knock a small hole downward toward the water since the water will come out of the small hole also? Or is there a good placement for the breather hole? Also would it be better to have 2 - inlet bulk heads and 1 return? Would 1 inch bulk heads for both be enough flow or should i have 2 outs and 1 in?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes you are right on with the hole placement.

How many drains you need and the sizes would be dependent upon the size of tank and your desired flow rate.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com