Drilling a 210 gallon Acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pfcbizz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to drill my 210 gallon tank, I ant to make my overflow box from a 4" PVC Pipe with the drain and return inside, I've heard so many different ways people do their overflow's but I want to know how I would go by doing mine in the manner I want to do it, mind you this is going to be a complete walk-around tank with all the plumbing underneth in the cabinet with plumbing in the center of the tank, so my question is to all :

1. what size plumbing and bulkheads should I use for the overflow, drain & return
2. how many holes need to be drilling in the overflow box to acheive this task
3. how much plumbing I need to run into the sump

I think you might need something larger than a 4" pipe, but if I was installing drains in a 210, i would want 2 x 1.5" bulkheads for 1.5" drains. I would construct a box out of acrylic. I would make it probably 18" x 6" maybe, and put the 2 drains inside that. you could stack rocks/glue rocks around it so it isn't so noticeable.
if you are stuck on the 4" pipe, then a single 1.5" drain would be about what fits in that situation. I would cut grooves in the top of the pipe so water goes in but the fish can't.

2 holes for total for the 4" pipe design idea of yours- a hole for a drain and one for a 3/4" or 1" return. Come to think of it, i don't think those 2 will fit in a 4" pipe at all.
3 holes for the acrylic box idea- 2 drains and one 1" return.

Last edited:
Here are some images of what i was trying to explain-
Glasscages.com - Overflows

overflow_fig3b.jpg

I think you might need something larger than a 4" pipe, but if I was installing drains in a 210, i would want 2 x 1.5" bulkheads for 1.5" drains. I would construct a box out of acrylic. I would make it probably 18" x 6" maybe, and put the 2 drains inside that. you could stack rocks/glue rocks around it so it isn't so noticeable.
if you are stuck on the 4" pipe, then a single 1.5" drain would be about what fits in that situation. I would cut grooves in the top of the pipe so water goes in but the fish can't.

2 holes for total for the 4" pipe design idea of yours- a hole for a drain and one for a 3/4" or 1" return. Come to think of it, i don't think those 2 will fit in a 4" pipe at all.
3 holes for the acrylic box idea- 2 drains and one 1" return.

What if I ran a pipe on the outside along the side of the overflow for the returns would that work ?

I guess, but the object of the overflow is to protect that bulkhead there, so if it ever leaks, you don't have to drain the entire tank to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom