Drilling acrylic, things to watch out for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
First, is it something that can be done with a standard corded/cordless drill (ie, actually cut through it vs mush it around, melt it, or worse, crack it, etc)?

If yes, does anyone have any tips?

Any drill will work but slower is better. When drilling acrylic with a regular drill bit is it tends to grab as the bit breaks the inside surface. A piece of wood clamped to the inside will stop this or going very slow as it breaks through. I have found starting with a small pilot hole helps. Bigger holes you could use a hole saw for best results keep it level. Good luck!

I would treat it the same way as drilling a thin veneer door. Once your hole saw is halfway through and pilot bit all the way through, drill from other side back towards as to not splinter out. Know what I mean? Slow speed for sure and maybe even Use a lubricant as to not melt/re-fuse drilling..

Make sure it is a new drill bit or hole saw. An older worn down one will not work as well.

I'll have the builder do it...they charge an extra $50 for it, but I'd rather they goof it up (and rebuild the tank) than me :)

I used a cordless drill, glass of water, carbide glass drilling bit and a lot of time to drill mine. On thing I found was drill till the tip makes it thru and then drill from the other side.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398787401.034395.jpg

Back
Top Bottom