Drilling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could some help me with some advice on how to drill a hole in the bottom of a tank? Is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered? All advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Most, if not all tanks, have a tempered bottom that can't be drilled. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer or you can try looking at it with polarized sunglasses on. If it's tempered you will see a sort of diamond shape pattern. You can look at the windows on your car with the polarized sunglasses to see the same affect.

Could some help me with some advice on how to drill a hole in the bottom of a tank? Is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered? All advice is appreciated.
Thanks

I'd be leery of drilling it. Untempered glass tends to have a more tinny sound when lightly tapped with a metal object, whereas tempered glass tends to sound more like a thud. Certainly this isn't a fool proof tests, but I've been lucky with it so far.

A good test to get the "ear" for it is to tap test a smaller window in your home that more than likely isn't tempered and do the same to a sliding glass door, which by law has to be tempered. You should hear a distinct difference in the two types of glass.

Back
Top Bottom