Drilling my 75, want to do side, looking for best viable option.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I have done extensive research on my tank and drilling procedures ect... I just cant seem to find much on ...

A: drilling location. Besides the obvious dont drill close to the edges (diameter of circle away) what height is best / most quiet / most effective?

B: drilling location. I want to do the side panel as opposed to the back, the tank separates my foyer and living room and is view-able from both sides so I would like to have an overflow box on the side that is closest to the wall. If this poses a structural issue or a functional issue I would like to hear it before I commit. If I need to post pics I will.

C: I want to make the overflow box from scratch spanning the entire width of the tank. so that whole side panel will have a overflow box on the top portion. Is this a viable set-up? Will this setup cause me any issues down the line? Is this the most effective setup?

Looking for experienced reefers to help out here. I appreciate the help as always.

PS Before anyone asks the 4 sides are 100% NT glass.

Thanks again in advance, these forums keep the hobby alive!

You are all good on the end!(y)
search "peninsula" tanks.
For your overflow either look into 'herbie'
Herbie Overflow Plumbing Guide for Quiet Reef Aquariums - gmacreef

Or bean animal
BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System
The later be the better IMO.

BRS has great videos,and drilling supplies along with overflow boxes!
Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply

Hope this all helps!(y)

Great info I ready the whole article. However It states at the bottom that horizontal runs are detrimental to the setup and unfortunately I am unable to drill the bottom. What is the best way around this as I would have to have a n elbow coming out of the bulkhead.

Thanks again great read!

Great info I ready the whole article. However It states at the bottom that horizontal runs are detrimental to the setup and unfortunately I am unable to drill the bottom. What is the best way around this as I would have to have a n elbow coming out of the bulkhead.

Thanks again great read!

Nice I see that in the Herbie link....
Basically always have pitch in the drains favor.
I run 'horizontal' in a couple tanks with some pitch(grade) to the sump.

ON THAT NOTE(SORRY)
I would prefer the bean as a better system and feel My post may have lead in the other direction.?
If it is a possibility no one will ever say you could have done better then if you built bean IMO!

:popcorn:

if your nor comfortable drilling they sell hob overflows that work great so long as its not a siphon type the gravity fed work a lot nicer IMO
41pDoeE7t9L._SX425_.jpg

Thanks seaweed but i think im sold on the bean animal. I will post pics and videos as I do the build as i have a lot of questions .
So im doing it peninsula style. I have a deep blue 75 gallon. Im thinking about removing the plastic brace and putting on a glass brace. Is this feasible?
For the drain I will be building a internal and external box with 3 45mm holes. Is there a standardized hieght and debth? I would like the box to be the entire width of the tank (see photo).

A. How close to the bottom of the internal box should the holes be? Thats line one and the holes themselves. And ...
B. should the external box be the same size as the internal or is line 2 (external box bottom) location ok?

Lots more questions but 1 step at a time. The bit will be here Wednesday so there is time to discuss.

Thanks to an awesome community!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448334885136.jpg
    1448334885136.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 62
Sorry to tell you ,but if your tank is "deep Blue" all of it is tempered.
That means NO DRILLING!
Sorry.
I'm like 99.9% certain....
Make sure some how ,but I already saved one buddy 2 years ago from drilling his deep blue.
He was drilling for external pump on a 75 g sump!
All deep blues over 55g are all tempered I think....

I see they say professional models are NT?
I am very leary of deep blue.
Sorry if I am wrong on this...

Sorry to tell you ,but if your tank is "deep Blue" all of it is tempered.
That means NO DRILLING!
Sorry.
I'm like 99.9% certain....
Make sure some how ,but I already saved one buddy 2 years ago from drilling his deep blue.
He was drilling for external pump on a 75 g sump!
All deep blues over 55g are all tempered I think....

I see they say professional models are NT?
I am very leary of deep blue.
Sorry if I am wrong on this...

No. It is not tempered. Only the bottom is tempered. You can go to the deepblue website and pull up a list of every pane on every tank. Its 100% not tempered.
EDIT here is the link with all tank information
http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/resources.html
Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a good piece of info saving him the heart ach of a shattered tank ,
big tanks aren't cheap , that's why I chickened out from drilling my 90g ,
the gravity fed overflow proved itself as the best hob overflow out there IMO
it's self priming which is one of the best features , it also stops the overflow to sump when power goes out self priming is a must saves the head ach of getting siphon going again after power outage , also prevents air lock since it don't use siphon tubes .
you would think it was drilled as it flows so smoothly with out ever stopping
like the siphon type often do
the next best option to a drilled tank I swear by mine that's how much I like them .
cost a few more $ than a standard overflow but worth every cent .

Last edited:
That's a good piece of info saving him the heart ach of a shattered tank ,
big tanks aren't cheap , that's why I chickened out from drilling my 90g ,
the gravity fed overflow proved itself as the best hob overflow out there IMO
it's self priming which is one of the best features , it also stops the overflow to sump when power goes out self priming is a must saves the head ach of getting siphon going again after power outage , also prevents air lock since it don't use siphon tubes .
you would think it was drilled as it flows so smoothly with out ever stopping
like the siphon type often do
the next best option to a drilled tank I swear by mine that's how much I like them .
cost a few more $ than a standard overflow but worth every cent .

Once again though. thanks for the input but it is NOT tempered. I am 100% sure. I work at the store that I bought it from. so I will be drilling this tank. anyone have any thoughts on the actual structure of the boxes and drain holes pictured above?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

For removing the rim a glass support should work out.
Search 'Euro bracing'.

The box(internal )can surely go end to end.
Most call this 'coast to coast' (CTC).

Thanks! I am familiar with the euro bracing and coast to coast terminologies, I just wanted to confirm that it can in fact be done with these tanks.
I wonder if there is an advantage to drilling three holes as opposed to two holes (just to clarify these are just the drain holes that go to the external overflow box so no bulkheads needed). I mean at 45mm each that should be plenty of drainage to the external box? Just trying to drill the actual tank as little as possible. Has anyone here ever set up a bean animal?

Back
Top Bottom