Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

With my drywall experaince I would think that if you "drilled" the hole for the anchor instead of just pushing through you should be fine. Folks drywall is stronger than you would think. Think about this. those little ceiling boxes that have the little ears are rated at 50lbs. I think I know what kind of hook Jack is speaking of and I have a 40 lb chandeleer hanging from it. HTH

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think I know what kind of hook Jack is speaking of and I have a 40 lb chandeleer hanging from it. HTH
Your chandeleer isn't hanging from its electrical box which is attached to a wood beam? If not, you are more daring than I...

Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, straight from a "planter hook" 8)

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
ceiling drywall is usuall 3/4inch so with those type hooks he should be ok with a 20lbs load

Quote:
straight from a "planter hook"
8O
Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I called it a planter hook, IT's a big brass hook with a toggle on the other side that spread out about 2 1/2 inches in both directions.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 03-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I agree with everyone... definitely go to the joist. I tried hanging a bathrobe hook from my sheetrock (not the joist) and one little tug ripped the rock. I would not do that again.

On the other hand, I have a 100 lb. punching bag hanging from my ceiling joist and the joist never budges even when I'm pounding the &$#@ out of the bag.

You may get away with hanging the hook straight from the drywall, but why chance it when you've got joists?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I tried hanging a bathrobe hook from my sheetrock (not the joist) and one little tug ripped the rock. I would not do that again.
But you were pulling across the opening, That's called "sheer force" on that I agree put it in the joist. In the ceiling the sheet rock is thicker, and you would be pulling down straight. As long as an anchoring system was used, toggle's or those things that spread out acrss the BACK of the sheetrock it should be fine. If "mollies" (anchors that just stick in the hole and spread against the hole wall) was used the no it will not hold.

I install alarm systems and after 15 years I can tell you sheet rock is stronger that most of us give credit for. I have slid between joists in a ceiling laying on the sheetrock and it never moved. on the other hand I have stood up and fell through. It's a matter of weight distrubution

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 03-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
After talking to a few people who know construction, I've confirmed what I already knew. Drywall ceilings will hold a vertical load of up to 50lbs with the proper anchoring device. If I wasn't living in a rental I would probably err on the side of safety and re-hang with different hooks into a joist but for now I will just keep my eye on what I have.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I agree, go for wood. I don't know if this is up to code, but I cut a 2x4 to fit between the rafters in my garage and hung a 50lb punching bag from it. It shakes the house like mad, but everything is holding well. You may be able to do something similar if you have some attic space to work with.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oops, didn't see there was a second page. 50lbs huh? I hope it works for you.

Tags
dry, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com