Dual 4'x2' Fluorescent fixtures for 200g Long; Also, Lifting Rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkpq45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good Evening All,

The 200g freshwater build begins. I have two 4'x2' fluorescent light fixtures to place on top of my 2'x2'x7' 200g tank. Planning on having each light angled so they form a "peak" at the middle of the 7' span, that way they fit over the 7' long aquarium. Has anyone ever done something like this before?

Also, As the hood to contain the fixtures will be about 12" high, 2' wide, 7' long and weigh several dozen pounds, any advice on how to lift the darn thing for maintenance? My first instinct is a pulley hung from the ceiling to winch it up, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
jkpq45

Is this FW or SW?

If it's FW, are you planning on planting? If so, knowing the lighting specs helps (watts, K value).

I'd suggest having the fixture on a level line rather than a peak (FW/SW) so the the light is concentrated into the tank. Rather than a peak (like a gable on a house), angle it like a chevron (a wide "V") horizontal over the tank.

I've seen the pulley system used and it works good, or you could build a cross bar frame (from front to back glass) that the lights can rest on or be fitted to if you don't want rigging hang from the ceiling.

I'm confused--why angle the lights outward rather than inward? The lights won't fit on the tank if mounted level, they are two 4' long fixtures to be mounted on a 7' long tank.

This will be a freshwater setup. I'm not planning on planting it at first--perhaps in the future. Initial setup will be eight 32W or 40W T-8 tubes at 6800K and 10000K. I've considered other colors, but really like the bright blue-white the higher temps give.

Any more details on this cross-bar frame idea?

I'm confused--why angle the lights outward rather than inward? The lights won't fit on the tank if mounted level, they are two 4' long fixtures to be mounted on a 7' long tank.

This will be a freshwater setup. I'm not planning on planting it at first--perhaps in the future. Initial setup will be eight 32W or 40W T-8 tubes at 6800K and 10000K. I've considered other colors, but really like the bright blue-white the higher temps give.

Any more details on this cross-bar frame idea?

You're right, my bad. 2' wide tank, 2' wide fixture :whistle:. My initial thoughts were if you angle them up like a gable/peak, the light is going into the room more than into the tank.

Do you already have the fixtures?

Maybe 2, 36" fixtures would be something to consider? Evenly spaced on a horizontal plane, I don't think you'd have any dark areas in the tank. You could mix the bulbs too, 10kK, 6700K, Actinic since you have 8 bulbs. Yep, the 10kK/blue does look good (love it on my BW :) ).

Here's a great fixture with those dimensions: 3Ft/4Bulbs fixture

Crossbar, like a roof rack on a car is what I was thinking. Kinda like this: ROOF RACKS CROSSBARS CROSS BAR CAR CUV SUV WINDOW FRAME | eBay

Or build a hood like you see on many large tanks and hide the fixtures all together.

I'll probably end up using these fixtures--former office lighting and it's what I have. At $20 apiece (plus new bulbs) you can't really go wrong.

I'll build a hood for them, the question is how to raise it up for maintenance. My engineer-brain is working on this one, will let you all know what I come up with.

Back
Top Bottom