Dual tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleFoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody! I'm rapidly running out of room for all these fish tanks and I could really use a dual stand for large tanks. (A 75 and a non-standard 55 with the same footprint...larger tank on the bottom, even on the floor under the stand would work.) I can find cast iron stands to support 2 75s, which I could make work but I'm worried about how wobbly said stand might be. Particularly because it would be sitting on carpet and I have two BIG cats and a basset hound running around. I do NOT want any accidents.

Could I make a stand that would hold these? Maybe? Is this just an all around terrible idea? Is there somewhere I could get blueprints for something like this, or would I just have to wing it and come up with some heavy duty monster of a stand and pray to whatever Gods may be that it holds? Thoughts? Comments? Mockery? :blink:

I have not seen any double tank stand plans, but this is not too different from someone building a large tank with a large sump underneath. Although in your case, that bottom tank is going to be much heavier than any sump.

The main problem I see is how you can support the top tank without a center support. <A center support will make it difficult to service the bottom tank, plus it would spoil the view.>

My current stand is basically a double decker - an 80 on top & a 30 sump in the bottom. But since I don't have to worry about looks at the sump level, I have (2) center supports transfering weight from the top tank to ground. Most plans I've seen call for no more than 24" span for tank rails. To do a 48" span (for an open look for the bottom tank) will need more than double the size of the top rail to prevent sag. I would prob go 4x oversize just for peace of mind. <I am extrapolating from the joist size increase needed to span various length when deck building.> Since the min. to support a big 4' tank is a 2x6 (on edge) with a 24" span. I would say use at least Two 2x8's (glued & screwed together) as your load bearing rails for the 48" span needed. <May be 3 ..... that would be overkill, but better safe than sorry .... Even more overkill would be to use an engineered beam ... either metal or wood ... I have one of those holding up my house addition.>

You would also need to bulk up on the 4 corner legs (since you won't have that center support leg.) 4x4's would prob be enough ... but no harm in going 6x6.

You might see my philosophy as ... overbuild massively so I can sleep at night! :)

Could do what I did and design and build one yourself. My tanks aren't as big as yours are, but still weigh a lot lol. I have a 20 and 10 on one shelf and I'll have a 30 under those.

I built mine out of 2x4's, 1/2" plywood and tons of screws :lol:.

If you wanted to do the cast iron like you were talking about you could maybe bolt it to the studs in you wall to keep from wobbling. That's what I do when my tanks are on carpet.

A couple of points to consider. Firstly if the stand has four legs, you will have 4 point loads. if you are on a regular floor comprised of floor joists and sheathing, the feet may be sitting on the sheathing and not have the weight well supported. This can be alleviated by placing a piece of 2 x 4 or similar spanning the joists on the carpet. The other consideration is that the tanks span as many floor joists as possible rather than running parallel to them. thirdly, wall to wall carpet installations typically use what is known as a tackless strip to hold the carpet down and keep it tight. This is a 1/4" strip of plywood with tacks in it that sits just out from the wall. If the stand sits on this or even close, it will tend to tip the stand slightly away from the wall.
As far as the stand needing a centre support, it does not. A four foot span is easily handled by a 2 x 4, or even less. The weight is actually supported by the legs not the span.

Back
Top Bottom