Dumb question about connecting two tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelyeller89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I have my 5 gallon that is going to be a pico reef here in a bit. Then I had a brain storm to do a build with an empty 10 gallon I found. Is there a way to connect the two, without drilling, so that it's two tanks with a shared water capacity of 15 gallons?

This would require much work without draining. I would guess you would put an over flow on the 5 gallon and then have a pump in the 10 pumping it back up to the five.

The source of the siphon (where water is being sucked in) needs to higher than the end where water comes out. If the 10 gallon is substantially taller than the 5 than it may work if you put the overflow box on the 10 but the siphon would be weak if it doesn't go down far enough and it could stop. Then the pump would just drain the tank onto your floor. You could raise it and it would definately work but if you don't want to do that you will just need a pump in both tanks.

That's what I was thinking, just wanted someone to confirm it. I don't want to do the whole double pump thing cause there's too much risk of one failing.
I'm kinda getting the feeling that it's more work than its worth. Now that I've got the idea for the overflow box, I may just use the ten for a sump and turn my 20 gallon salty

That eshops is way to big for this setup, you would have to get a mini overflow or something. one tanks needs to be lower than the other for this to work. I really advise you to drill these tanks.

Back
Top Bottom