DY mdf stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manbearpig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's the stand I'm going to build for a 55gal tank. Don't mind the crude ms paint drawing.

the dimensions will be 48"L x 12.5"w x 24"h

It will be completely enclosed top and bottom with mdf and, after the glue dries, you could throw it off of a roof and not be damaged. :lol:

It will be built out of 3/4" mdf, if there's any woodworkers here you know that mdf is a very tough, rigid wood. and it's hard to break it. As you can see from the picture, it will be supported directly to the floor by a total of 5 braces, the two ends, and the three middle braces. There will be absolutely no weight hanging on glue or fasteners. I believe this will be strong enough to hold up a car, let alone a loaded 55gal tank. :lol: It will be heavy, probably weighing in at about 100 lbs, and solid as a rock. It will be held together by elmer's pro-bond wood cement and 2" brad nails. The reason I'm doing the storage at the ends, is 2 reasons, 1. the braces will be in the way of the compartments, 2. When you look at it from the front, it will be a very clean, seamless stand. One end will be for food/supplies storage, the other will hold the air pump, etc.. As for the finish, it will be painted semi-gloss black latex paint.

I like your idea...I toyed with MDF, but I just couldn't do it...plus I did want to have access to the stand via the front.

But like you said, that thing is going to be a rock!

just don't let it get wet, you might find the 'tough' wood will turn to paper under 55gallon.
I would still build a frame for it then attach the mdf as an outer "coating"

also the side dimension on the stand is 2.5' , is that the width of your tank? how high is it? it appears that it may be a bit bigger then 55gallons if it is 2.5 feet wide.

standard demensions for a 55 are 48" length, 13inches wide and 18inches tall. i have built a few stands for 55's in the past, and 12.5 does not sound right to me, make sure you're measuring at the widest points, take into account the plastic frame.

i agree with defekt on the framing point... there's a reason we make these things ourselves, why just replicate what you can get in the store? if you are going to use only mdf, i would suggest using spiral grooved dowels to join the pieces instead of just glue. there's some good glues out there, but why risk it?
imo, you would be better off to frame with 2x4's and then cover it with 1/8" pine vaneer. it will be stronger, lighter, stiffer, and i'm pretty sure it will be less expensive. a 3/4" 4x8' sheet of mdf was around 18$ last time i checked, and you can get pine vaneer for about half that.
i do like your storage solution. that will look nice having a seamless front like that. are you thinking doors on the sides or an opening?

Back
Top Bottom