Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dyi conister filter media

what bio media would you use in a dyi canister
I was thinking lava rock or pumice both are super cheap here (6 gal/$2.00)
I was thinking of running it horizontal with a pump on the intake and a large sponge filter on the end of the intake hoes for mechanical and extra bio filtering
I was thinking of using purigen as a chem filter after the bio and floss before and after the bio to hold everything in place and catch the finer dirt
im going to use this on a 45 bow front with 2 Severum and a few dither fish in it

Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dyi conister filter media

In addition to the pumice you mentioned, I've also heard of folks using those plastic pot-scrubbers. They're supposed to be pretty cheap, especially if you have a "dollar store" near you.

There is actually a DIY section in the forums. You may get more results if you post in there.

Edit: I'm dumb. Didn't realize we were already in the DIY part of the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i use pot scrubbers in my hob now but thought the ;lava rock or pumice would work better
Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lava rock and pumice would be the best way to go because they both provide immense surface area for both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to flourish.
The only thing you should change is where in the filtration scheme the Purigen goes. Purigen is great at removing dissolved organic compounds, therefore you want it before the biological filtration portion, not after. The reasoning being that by removing as much dissolved organics as possible before nitrification results in less nitrates ultimately being produced.
The best way to do it would be mechanical/floss>Purigen/activated carbon/Chemi-Pure (depending on what specifically use)> then on to the biological media.
You could also put some Purigen or Chemi-pure as the last step for an additional "polish" for the water, but you definitely want the bulk of it before the bio media.
You essentially want no particulate matter to reach the biological media and remove as much of the dissolved organics as possible before the biological portion.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

why would you want both purigen and chempure don't they do the same thing
I think the pumice is a better choose because it is gravel size and the lava rock is 1"(2cm) chunks
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
why would you want both purigen and chempure don't they do the same thing
Yes and no. I think the ion exchange resins in Chemi-Pure do a better job at removing metals and other type of contaminants than Purigen, but I'm not certain.
I do know that using both and putting them before the bio-media portion of my DIY canister made a huge difference.
You don't have to use both, but I've noticed a lot of folks here use both and are very pleased with the results.
It certainly can't hurt, except the wallet.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have never used purigen but read that it is better than chemipure , first time I used chempure then next morning I though my tank leak out all the water till I seen all my fish flying in the air
ether is probably over kill except in the winter when it is harder to do water changes , but I think I will try the purgen and could always add chempur
Old 07-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
I have never used purigen but read that it is better than chemipure , first time I used chempure then next morning I though my tank leak out all the water till I seen all my fish flying in the air
ether is probably over kill except in the winter when it is harder to do water changes , but I think I will try the purgen and could always add chempur
One difference is Purigen isn't as aggressive and won't remove some trace elements like activated carbon does. Being a mix of activated carbon and ion exchange resins, Chemi-Pure is a bit different than Purigen.
I believe Purigen is a good/better alternative to activated carbon, but not sure about any differences between Purigen's abilities compared to the ion exchange resins Chemi-Pure uses.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Pot scrubbers provide a larger surface area by volume than lava rocks.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Pot scrubbers provide a larger surface area by volume than lava rocks.
I doubt that, are you considering the acres of area that is inside of the rocks? Plus scrubbers are only good for nitrifying bacteria so only a partial solution.

With scrubbers the entire surface area is constantly exposed to oxygen rich water whereas pumice or lava rock have a very large amount of internal surface area which is perfect for anaerobic bacteria to thrive and help break down nitrate. Pot scrubbers may be good for aerobic bacteria and the breakdown of ammonia and nitrite, but offer absolutely nothing in terms of de-nitrification and lowering nitrate levels, which is the biggest obstacle to water quality and the primary reasons for doing water changes.
The pumice pebbles are probably the best choice for a canister filter, that is essentially what Seachem Matrix and De-Nitrate are.

Tags
dyi, filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com