DYI Stand for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a blueprint, but I will say using 2x4s worked well for my 100 gallon. Also, support your top rectangle well. last thing check the floor where it is going and make sure it is level. If not builds shivs/ramps for the whole stand to be on for stability.(you do not want to find out later that your floor is not level. Also, if you are using a sump, make sure you account for enough room to get it in and out/ work on it while the tank is running.

I don't have a blueprint, but I will say using 2x4s worked well for my 100 gallon. Also, support your top rectangle well. last thing check the floor where it is going and make sure it is level. If not builds shivs/ramps for the whole stand to be on for stability.(you do not want to find out later that your floor is not level. Also, if you are using a sump, make sure you account for enough room to get it in and out/ work on it while the tank is running.

IMO, anything over 100 gallons you should support it with 4x4's for added security.

I used two 2x4s in each corner for my 200 gallon. In fact I used all 2x4s except for the plywood top. IMO 4x4s are over kill. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've built several DIY stands for tanks and racks and IME I would never use 4x4s. One 4x4 can warp over time and cause a really bad crash. I would highly suggest to use two 2x4's instead at each corner.

I've built several DIY stands for tanks and racks and IME I would never use 4x4s. One 4x4 can warp over time and cause a really bad crash. I would highly suggest to use two 2x4's instead at each corner.

I agree! 2 kiln dried 2x4s at right ( |_ ) angles will work better than 1 4x4, are easier to cut and weight less.

When I built my stand got my 125 I looked through YouTube and found one that looked best. I went with three 2x4s in the the corners.
A five foot 2x4 frame around the bottom.
Then some center braces in the top rectangle aand the top with plywood to make it more flat and even. I was going to put doors on it but I ended up leaving it open so I could put tanks under when I want to.

Attachments

• image-257036735.jpg
    image-257036735.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 156
About any lumber will do..... it mainly depends on the person building the stand and proper selection of wood.

Using 2x4 is easy to use and lets be honest, most that end up building a stand have poor to introductory wood working skills, limited to no real tools, etc.. at their disposal. Slapping a few 2x4 together can be done by anyone so ends up being the material of choice by most DIY aquarium builds plus easy to find plans and cut list so it takes almost any error out of building. The garf calculator and plans are about fool proof.

www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

I used 4x4 in the last two stands I built but had to do more with what I had on hand or for the looks (as mentioned overkill) and with proper selection of wood no more concerns with warping than with any other wood.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for posting with all the support and suggestions. This week I finished my 75 gallon stand. It turned out better than I thought it would. In conjunction with finishing the stand, I made my own 20 gallon sump sump that will go under the stand. I also plan on making a couple of shelves along with hanging a couple electrical outlets.IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Back
Top Bottom