Dylans DIY 55 Gallon Stand Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

posleen103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought we could concentrate this discussion. I believe that the 30 something gallon stand that Dylan likes is

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/33-gallon-stand-144519.html

I think its possible to build something like this for a 55 gallon, but it would need to be sturdier. This would be a moderately expensive stand, but require very high skill. If I recall your still a kid. Do you have access to a table saw or skill saw and any knowledge of how to use it? I would really recommend an adult. I use them both fairly often and they still scare me. A cheaper easier stand would be one with a frame and box that looks more like a set of cabinets.
The length and width of your tank and the height off the floor you want the bottom of the tank to start would be excellent info for anyone trying to help you.

Thank you for starting this thread! I'll post the dimensions of the tank tomorrow, and what I want the height of the stand to be. Yes I am still a kid, if the saw part is out of my reach I'll just ask my dad to do it. Everything else I'm pretty sure I'm capable of doing myself. That design I saw was pretty cool, but if it's too complicated or expensive I'm perfectly fine with doing something more basic. Just what did you have in mind?

Kind of need the parameters of what the height and tank dimensions are. And did you want it with the zig-zags and shelves? That is a pretty complicated design right there, meaning its a lot harder to do. A 2x4 frame around the top with 5 squares supporting it is one of the easier and sturdier designs around, and it allows you to tuck a sump in there. Mainly your going to need to watch your measuring very carefully and plan and think through each step.

Also my stand is still undergoing the fiddly little bits, like I put wood paste in the joints, sanded that out, re-stained. I probably won't put my varnish coat on until tomorrow, then spend 2-3 days after that polishing it with linseed oil. This is just to warn you that its a pretty long process to get the stand done right. Requires patience.

I'm fine with that type of stand. And for the patience, I'm fine waiting. I have one other tank I'm cycling (not the 55) so it'll give me something to do in the mean time. I'm really in no rush.

Due to technical difficulties I can't get my drafting program to export into here in any usable quality. These are hand drawings.
Okay here are the basic design for a 55 gallon stand. The top frame will require 2 2x4s eight feet in length, 4 L brackets (screws tend to come with them) and glue.
Each Bracing will require 1 2x4 8 feet long and 4 L brackets, although only 2 will be used right off, and glue. 5 sets of bracing which means each 2x4 should be supporting only 50lbs in compressions. There rated to at least 300 so we have a very nice margin of safety. Total Materials are 7 2x4s 8 feet long, 24 L brackets and glue. $35 is the price estimate as is there.

Attachments

• Matts.jpg
    Matts.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Matts 001.jpg
    Matts 001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 123
I would recommend getting some form of paneling, 1/8th to 1/4 inch 36 inches high to make up the covering for the rest of the aquarium. Hinges attached to the middle of the out side and a simple cut would allow you to create some fairly easy doors, possibly for a sump. A panel down the middle would also give you base support if your interested in putting in a sump or something of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom