Easier water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have kinda a bad back, and don't really like lifting buckets up into my tank.

I'm looking for efficient ways to remove water and add water.

I know at times we add water due to evaporation without removing anything.

What I have for now is a 35 gallon tub in my garage filled with RO water with auto shut off that stays full. I run a piece of tube from a submersible pump out to my refugium and pump water in there as I need to add water into my tank.

I want to come up with an efficient method for removal, and salt mix. Should I have two tubs, one RO water, one Mixed salt water sitting in my garage?

I know I'm over complicating this but want it to be easy and efficient. Any tips here?

u could get a rele long hose and put the end of it onto ur lawn / yard through a window and siphon it out?

A Python is the best way to go. It hooks up to your sink and you can use it to siphon and replace water. I love mine and it really saves the back.

A Python is the best way to go. It hooks up to your sink and you can use it to siphon and replace water. I love mine and it really saves the back.

the problem with the python is that it adds straight tap water to the tank without getting out the chemicals that are in it.

i would suggest buying a cheap pump and a hose and thats all you would need.

the problem with the python is that it adds straight tap water to the tank without getting out the chemicals that are in it.

i would suggest buying a cheap pump and a hose and thats all you would need.

I agree but I've used this method for over 8 years with no ill effects. I add the prime as I add the water. I learned this method from my LFS and have never lost a fish this way.

Regards......Joe

Here is what I did...i purchased a food grade barrel...i put in a close loop with a pump (i have a saltwater tank i need to mix in the salt)(the reason why i got a barrel is because i need to heat the water to 78 degrees and this way i can fill the barrel with water while i am out (i have an RO unit)...the pump keeps the water moving so it won't become stagnate)...i did add an attachment to the close loop with a valve allowing me to use the pump to push out water...i attached a hose to the out going attachment so this way when i am ready to add water i just put the hose into the tank...you can also get a pump with a hose to pump out the water from the buckets directly into the drain...

I use a waterbed pump to drain and fill my aquarium. I bought a piece at Lowe's that allows me to connect my gravel vac to the pump. I just switch the pump off if it gets too much gravel in it.

I also purchased an RV hose to use. It is not as stiff as a garden hose. Also purchased quick connects. I did not want to twist the gravel vac hose.

When I had a reef tank I would mix salt in the barrel that feed from the RO. I had a separate auto top off barrel that had Cal in it. To feed the tank the new salt water I used a submersible pump, the return to the refugium had a pipe that lead straight to a floor drain. Never had to lift a bucket. The trick would be to find some were to drain the water.

When I had a reef tank I would mix salt in the barrel that feed from the RO. I had a separate auto top off barrel that had Cal in it. To feed the tank the new salt water I used a submersible pump, the return to the refugium had a pipe that lead straight to a floor drain. Never had to lift a bucket. The trick would be to find some were to drain the water.

Yep that's what I'm trying to figure out. How how to drain cuz there isn't a drain nearby

Back
Top Bottom