Easier water changes idea, help me brainstorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChelseaLake

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay. I have a 55g aquarium. I'm so sick and tired of carrying several 30lb buckets to and from my aquarium every week for water changes. I'm a tiny weakling, and I get enough heavy lifting at work throughout the week. However, I really would hate to spend the money on a water changer if I could make my own for much cheaper. So here's my idea:

They make these garden hose faucet adaptors for kitchen/bathroom sinks. They sell for like $2. They are commonly used for hot tub maintenance I guess. Anyway, it's like the adaptor for the python or lees water changer.

What about using one of these, and a length of garden hose to fill my aquarium back up? Siphoning out isn't an issue....I have a window pretty close to my aquarium. It's filling that raises an issue.

What does the DIY population think? How could I make this better? Is this a possibility? Has anyone tried this?

That's what I do to my bathroom sink. Go for it. Except I "borrowed" some barbed adapters from our school's lab that go on sinks directly and now I just screw on my hose and go. Thinking about "borrowing" an aspirator for water changes as well lol.

Hahaha, you make me laugh. I borrow a lot of things from school...>.> <.<

And also feel stupid. Did I just spell adapter wrong like 6 times in a row? Grammar gods forgive me. It's been a long Sunday. I hate to say this, but bring Monday ON!

I do the same ... Siphon out the window to a flower bed (water & fertilizes weekly in the process), and fill with a simple water hose from my kitchen faucet.

You can buy an adaptor, but if you have some spare hoses lying around, you can DIY one out of scrap. I found that a 1" vinyl hose fits my kitchen faucet exactly, so all I did was stretch one end of a piece of 1" vinyl so it fits tightly on the male part of the garden hose, and I can now slip the garden hose on & off the kitchen faucet with ease.

Python user here too. I know the Aqueon is half the python price. I'm just not good at DIYs.

Thank you guys so much. Never DIY'ed for my aquarium before.

Have a great rest of your weekend! I'd share my pb cookies with you if you were here...

If you can get an RV hose, I believe they're white and blue, it's safe for drinking water. There's a chance a regular hose could leach something into your tank.

I've said that my python is the greatest tool I never thought I'd need. I got it as a door prize at an LFS and I'd replace it or repair it in a second if I broke it.

What are these python gadgets yous mention as I am very interested in something like this

Ultimate_GravelV_4c767ac2a0b3a.jpg

This is what I've got.

I think BigJim is worried about algaecide & mildewcide that maybe incorporated into an ordinary garden hose. Leaching of that might kill your biofilter. I do use an RV (portable water) hose for my fish tank.

Do you guys just fill your aquarium and then add th conditioner? I was always lead to believe that you had to neutralise the water before putting it in to the aquarium?

Yes welsh you do have to purify it before. What I think their saying is that they pump it into a bucket near the tank and that they purify and heat. Or they have a ro system

from, Adam

Yes welsh you do have to purify it before. What I think their saying is that they pump it into a bucket near the tank and that they purify and heat. Or they have a ro system

from, Adam

Not quite... When using a python to fill you tank you have to dose the ENTIRE volume of the tank (regardless of how much water you are replacing, 10g, 20g, etc). There is no need to wait for it to degas or anything like that. Just match the temperature, dose your prime and fill 'er up!

A buddy just bought the Aqueon version of the Python from Amazon for like $29 shipped, that is the cheapest I have found so far for the 25 foot one. FWIW.

Cheers for the info guys I hate using the bucket method have been looking for an easier method!

Yup, I fill straight into the tank.

I also use pond water conditioner, which is more highly concentrated than the aquarium version water condition but costs less. It allows me to OD water conditioner and make sure I treat it all.

Same here...i drain water...put Prime in for the tank voloume (3mL for my 29 gallon), then fill it straight from the sink...I love it sure saved me a lot of back aches.

Back
Top Bottom