Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Economic or no?

In the distant future I would like to build my own tank. With the current dimensions of 3' by 3' by 1.5', it would be about 100g. My research tells me that building a 1/2" thick glass tank with a plywood bottom would work out well, a little over $150, which is A LOT less than any new tank I've seen thus far. Most stores/online go over $400 for the tank alone. I've looked at used tanks (not that I expect them to be around in ten years) and they at least want $200 for the tank alone. AND YET google has told me it is not economical to build my own tank, stand, or anything really.

Sarjo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about doing the same thing!! Go on YouTube to The king of diy look at his plywood aquarium video! He goes step by step on how to make a really nice one! I think it is economical if you get the materials on sale like he explains! You might even have some of the supplies so it would be even cheaper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

KKAY27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've watched his videos and I agree that they're very good. My only issue is that he doesn't factor in the cost of all his equipment and tools. He also has a ton of more skill than I do. Haha.
Sarjo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
That glass must be dirt cheap for you to pull an aquarium off that cheaply. Where do you live?
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Keep an eye out if you drive past Good Will or similar stores. My fiancé ran into a 110gal with stand, glass tops, lights (cheap lights), and other junk for $100. They gave me 4 days to test for leaks and make sure that everything checked out. Best deal I've ever had!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Beej1254 is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com