Economic or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarjo Pepper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the distant future I would like to build my own tank. With the current dimensions of 3' by 3' by 1.5', it would be about 100g. My research tells me that building a 1/2" thick glass tank with a plywood bottom would work out well, a little over $150, which is A LOT less than any new tank I've seen thus far. Most stores/online go over $400 for the tank alone. I've looked at used tanks (not that I expect them to be around in ten years) and they at least want $200 for the tank alone. AND YET google has told me it is not economical to build my own tank, stand, or anything really.
WHAT AM I MISSING?:confused:

I was thinking about doing the same thing!! Go on YouTube to The king of diy look at his plywood aquarium video! He goes step by step on how to make a really nice one! I think it is economical if you get the materials on sale like he explains! You might even have some of the supplies so it would be even cheaper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've watched his videos and I agree that they're very good. My only issue is that he doesn't factor in the cost of all his equipment and tools. He also has a ton of more skill than I do. Haha.

That glass must be dirt cheap for you to pull an aquarium off that cheaply. Where do you live?

Keep an eye out if you drive past Good Will or similar stores. My fiancé ran into a 110gal with stand, glass tops, lights (cheap lights), and other junk for $100. They gave me 4 days to test for leaks and make sure that everything checked out. Best deal I've ever had!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom