Ecotech DIY battery backup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommygun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm a newbie to aquarium advice

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I would greatly appreciate any advice given. I have a couple of tanks running Ecotech MP10 pumps they work great. In my area we get power outages from time to time usually lasting no more than a couple of hours. Eventually I plan on getting Ecotech battery backups for them maybe? I say maybe because of the expense 169.99 plus tax or shipping times two for just in case. I know some could argue what's your live stock worth and I get that. At one time I used a battery powered fishing bait pump to circulate water during a 24 hour power outage.

In a pinch could a car battery be used to run these? It sounds crazy I know but I read on a forum somewhere saying as long it's a 12 volt 18 ah battery it will work. Also does anybody know of a DIY kit for a battery backup for the Ecotech pumps? part of me is cheap and the other part likes to tinker around But I don't want to have to replace a 200.00 pump just because I'm cheap any advice ?

Thank you

The everstart marine battery 24dp-4 is only a 12V battery used for starting and trolling boats. I don't know much about your filter system but after looking it up it seems that all its equipped with is a 12V battery (correct me please if I'm wrong) using a car battery might be too much voltage for the filter to handle. IMO I think that the boat battery would be the best way to go. I hope this helps :) welcome to AA by the way!

Hello and thank you.

I know it sounded crazy to me also that a car battery would work. Someone also suggested to me at my LFS a Computer back up battery might do the job. This led me to my next problem which is connection and keeping it charged. I plan on going to my local computer parts supplier and see what they might suggest

My only concerns with a The ever start marine battery 24dp-4 is amps maybe this is not an issue. I tried doing some research but found no specs on it yet. I did find some other marine batteries that might work with 750 ma battery tenders for around 50 bucks.

I had this idea myself. The ecotech backup is simply a 12V, 18 amp hour battery. Frankly, it's WAY overpriced. You can get a 12V 100 amp hour deep cycle battery for the same price and it will literally run your equipment 5 times as long. The difference is that the ecotech is more convenient -- it's lighter and comes in a pretty case and it comes with the correct cables and charger, but you can buy or make the cables and buy a trickle charger for about $20.

Hello Bassinprof and I'm sorry it took me so long to thank you. I have been having trouble logging in. Every time I try to log in I have to put in a password reset to get in. The last time I tried logging in I passed 5 attempts and was lock out for a few hours. Your 100% right the package is lighter and cleaner and will most likely the way I go. I did find out if anyone interested that Ecotech sells a battery charger and cables so it was a lot easier than I originally thought. thank you

I have read about people taking ups power strips after the factory bat stops, and replacing them with deep cell 12v car bat. That way you have a good charger and electronics if the power fails, and a 10x more powerful bat.

I have a 750 wat apc brand ups with a week bat, may do this my self one day.

I will add that while I am new to aquariums, I am a computer tech. Not telling anyone to do this tell I have tried it myself. As long as the unit dose not get hot dew to the bigger bat, all should be well

Hello and thank you for the advice I guess before I try out my latest dyi battery back-up I have been hoping to find a cheap used MP10 on eBay or CL with no luck just in case. I would hate to burn up my current pump. I have all the parts needed.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you and thank you but logging in takes a password change request every time I need to log in.

Mine did its job a few days ago,

When the night to day light bulbs for the snake tank switched, the day bulb poped, and tripped the breaker. We found at that point the fish tank was on the same one, although the UPS backup sustained the fish tank return pump tell we fixed things.

if you have a converter i don't see why it wouldn't work
I have 2 12v batt in series with a converter to run my back up lights in garage it gets dark down there with no light lol never thought about using it on my tanks
now you got my wheels turning

Back
Top Bottom