egg crate/great stuff background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen a lot of people online use egg crate to hold great stuff, or just use great stuff as a background for their tank. Many have painted it with some sort of crafts cement, but some have stuck on plants and such. I'm wondering how people do that because I'd like to do it. People always just say "I put [blah blah blah] on the great stuff" but never say how they got it to stay there. What I'm thinking I want to do is use that cement stuff (with color pigment) to get a nice rock look and then stick moss and some viney plants on it. Any idea how I'd get this done?

check out diy backgrounds on youtube. i have watched several videos on there and most people use black 100% silicone (make sure it does not contain mold or mildew inhibitors, it will say on the package) once the great stuff is cured they smear the silicone all over it then sprinkle with thier substrate/soil and then lightly press it into the silicone for solid adhesion. i recently built a cork background and used great stuff to hide the edges and i just pressed the substrate material right to the foam after i applied it and that worked fine for me but i only did a small area. over a large area or full background i would use the silicone, that way if a few spots dont adhere nicely its just a black spot as apposed to a white spot.

Back
Top Bottom