Egg Crate...Where? Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to be building a sump and plan on using some egg crate...

I've been reading that people get their egg crate from HD/Lowes in the lighting section.

I've also read to use the white and not the shiny. Is the white material safe for use in a sump where it will be submerged?

Also, to build legs for a stand in my sump Ive read to use PVC. Do you close off the end of the PVC? Any worries about trapped water in the PVC not flowing well?

Just trying to get some re-assurance on my research.

Thanks!

You get it from like home depot or Menards or the like in the ceiling tile section

Exactly.

As for the legs, don't seal them. You don't want water to creep in and be stagnant. Leave them uncapped so the water can flow through them.

I was able to get some egg crate at Lowe's in the Ceiling tile section...but not the lighting section.

2x4 piece was cheap....like $11-$12

i have to head to HD this week to get some MDF board. i have to make my current stand a little longer. i will pick some up then.

What type of bonding material?

I am also in the process of making a stand for my protein skimmer w/eggcrate and pvc. What do I use to attach eggcrate to the pvc that will be aquarium safe?

I am also in the process of making a stand for my protein skimmer w/eggcrate and pvc. What do I use to attach eggcrate to the pvc that will be aquarium safe?

I actually used the eggcrate as a stand also and used plastic nylon ties to keep it together and sturdy...hope that was OK....

Back
Top Bottom