Originally Posted by shadowstars123
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought gutaraldehyde turns of co2
after coming into contact with water.. So if you diluted it, doesn't it render it useless?
Pure gluteraldehyde would likely be a very toxic powder that could easily kill you or permamently damage you lungs if you inhaled it. Nearly all forms of gluteraldehyde available is in a diluted form. It forms more BIOAVAILABLE carbon. Meaning it simply increases the amount of carbon plants can take up. How this is done is through several mechanisms:
1.) plants take in glut as they would regular co2
and incorporate it through various metabolic processes
2.) Bacteria break it down into co2
3.) Light degrades it into smaller organic molecules that plants use.
Without an institution license you cannot (as far as I know) obtain gluteraldehyde stronger than 25%. Even at that concentration it shouldn't be handled without a fume hood. There have been reports all over of its carcinogenic/toxic properties. It's kinda why a lot of surgical equipment is sterilized in it- it's really good at killing things.