Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
come get me tang police!

another thing to note, both cidex, metricide, and excel are all pre-diluted with water anyhow, that's why they have concentration %s on the former 2.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstars123 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought gutaraldehyde turns of co2 after coming into contact with water.. So if you diluted it, doesn't it render it useless?
Pure gluteraldehyde would likely be a very toxic powder that could easily kill you or permamently damage you lungs if you inhaled it. Nearly all forms of gluteraldehyde available is in a diluted form. It forms more BIOAVAILABLE carbon. Meaning it simply increases the amount of carbon plants can take up. How this is done is through several mechanisms:
1.) plants take in glut as they would regular co2 and incorporate it through various metabolic processes
2.) Bacteria break it down into co2
3.) Light degrades it into smaller organic molecules that plants use.

Without an institution license you cannot (as far as I know) obtain gluteraldehyde stronger than 25%. Even at that concentration it shouldn't be handled without a fume hood. There have been reports all over of its carcinogenic/toxic properties. It's kinda why a lot of surgical equipment is sterilized in it- it's really good at killing things.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hm. I read somewhere that glutaraldehyde starts the process of becoming co2 after coming into contact with water. False facts these days eh?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
come get me tang police!

glutaraldehyde is already diluted in water, whether you get it in metricide/cidex or excel. Well over 95% of what's in the bottle is water.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
glutaraldehyde is already diluted in water, whether you get it in metricide/cidex or excel. Well over 95% of what's in the bottle is water.
Makes sense. Is the diluted form harmful?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
come get me tang police!

It's not as harmful as the concentrated forms of course, but it can be. The stuff is used to sterilize surgical equipment so it's a killer. I try not to get any on my hands and when I do I always wash up right after.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
It's not as harmful as the concentrated forms of course, but it can be. The stuff is used to sterilize surgical equipment so it's a killer. I try not to get any on my hands and when I do I always wash up right after.
What if a small amount were to be ingested by my dog? Jw, didn't happen
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
come get me tang police!

i have no idea lol. I'm not a doctor =[

i'd treat it like if the dog drank any kind of high strength cleaning material. make em drink lots of water and hope for the best? call the vet? idk.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd call the vet right away and find out how people purge their pets when they eat bottles of aspirin and stuff. IMO it shouldn't be that bad. But it'd be like your dog eating a bottle of formaldehyde. They're chemically similar. So: #1 your dog would probably smell it first and it would burn his nose so he wouldn't eat it. #2 it'd taste really bad and make his tongue hurt. It's low risk but it could happen.

Tags
fert, fertilizing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com