Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Electrical wiring/switching for equipment

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to wire up the following four pieces of equipment:
- HOB filter box
- HOB skimmer
- Heater
- Circulation pumps

Basically, I'm looking to have two switches, one for "feeding", which would turn off everything except the heater, and a second for "cleaning" which turns all 4 devices off. (Or would it be a single, 3-position switch?)

I'm trying not to purchase a ReefKeeper or Apex, as the tank is a nano and doesn't really require all those extra whistles and bells.

Does anyone know of how to easily (and safely) do this? I'm well versed in electrical wiring, and am comfortable soldering.

I initially thought of having two standard light switches in parallel, and the heater directly hanging off of the "cleaning" switch. The other 3 pieces would then be run off a single shared buss connected in series to the switches. However, for that to work, if I had the "cleaning" switch in the "off" position, it would only turn off the heater, unless the "feeding" switch is also turned off.

My guess here is that I'm going to have to perhaps use an Arduino, but can it control mains power?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Two plug strips one plugged in to the other. With your heater plug directly to the wall. When you turn off the first one everything goes off, turn off the second and just feeder ones go off.

I use the X10 system for timer and remote control of pumps lights etc. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm...I'll check that out, though I didn't think you could daisy chain strips like that. (I know you can't, if they have surge supression built in).

I was pondering getting one of these:
Amazon.com: Technical Pro PS9U Rack Mount Power Supply with 5V USB Charging Port: Musical Instruments

I would still have to manually switch things off, but it's a lot cleaner than plugging/unplugging things all the time.

How is your X10 set up?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Check out X10.com home automation. Using the appliance modules and the program on my computer. The only problem I found is that my LED's will not run off it unless I add a small powerhead to it or something else like a fan. There's also small standalone time module that can be used on it's own

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
chi, electric, equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com