Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
lol ... saving the hair and the tank

yea, a generator is a must if you want to have lights, heaters and all your accessories run in the event of an outage

but some of us live in situations where we cannot have a generator or the cost $100-$5000 is excessive for the needs.

I've been too busy to play with this pump much - maybe this weekend!

justDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to astride13
Unless you are just planning on running your aquarium and wife's hair dryer (This sounds like you have some bad ideas putting these together) you will need a big generator. A small 8k generator at Home Depot cost $1000.00. This would hardly run an average house, especially since a power outage is normally for a reason like snow or bad weather. If you run an electric heater (Sorry, I live in Florida, heaters are not in my expertise) you would probably be over 8k. Then if the wife decides to do laundry you are screwed.

We had a small power outage one night, lasted about 2 hours. I ran a 27" TV off my computer's UPS and it died about the time power came back online. A good quality UPS can give good results. Like I said earlier in this thread, I have a 1000kva UPS that cost less than $150.00 and it will run my aquarium for atleast a day.

As for the battery operated pump, My bilge pump on my boat has ran for days on a single 12v deep cycle. (float switch got stuck) When I noticed it was running, I fixed it and the battery still had the power to start to outboard motor.

The main fall back I see with the battery operated pump is if the power outage is while you are at work and you don't know for hours. This is why I opted for the UPS since it is automatic.

astride13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com