enough c02?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put together and diy co2 this weekend with a two litter bottle. I am getting a constant flow of bubbles. I was wondering if maybe I need another one hooked up on the other side of my tank to get enough c02 flowing through the tank. Or do you think the one will be enough?

I don't know. How do I find out? I just put it in yesterday.

You measure your pH and your kH, and there's a chart that will show you the estimated CO2 level. See this link for information.

In any regard, I'd recommend adding a second bottle. This allows you to swap out 1 bottle at a time without dropping to no CO2 during the replacement process. i.e. you'd change a bottle each week on an alternating schedule.

Thanks for the page, it seems very helpful. I think it is a good idea to have two bottles going, and so I don't end up with no c02 in the tank. I have a ph test but not the KH test. I haven't seen that one but, will check sometime this week. How long does the co2 bubble before it goes out?

Depends on what you mean by bubbling. It'll take some time of bubbling in the bottles to build up enough pressure to actually inject into your tank. What ar eyou injecting it into? once you see it going in the tank that means it's started. It can take anywhere from 12-48 hours, depending on your setup, length of the line, diffusion method, etc.

I meant it is coming out of my line into an air stone and there is bubbles from there. I might make a reactor sometime this weekend. :p I meant how long does the co2 last before it doesn't produce co2. sorry I guess I didn't say that right the last post. I heard a few weeks?

You probably mean how long does the yeast last? There are a few factors. The warmer your room air temperature, the longer the yeast will produce. I had my Hagen canisters in the kitchen where it was always fairly warm. But be careful not to add water that is too warm when starting your mix - that can kill the yeast instantly. I never used water over 82-83 degrees F.

The yeast itself is probably the most important factor. Bread yeast from the grocery store only lasted about 2 weeks for me. Wine yeast, from a "homebrew" type store, produced CO2 for a month. Sometimes I changed it out after a months' time, and it was still bubbling pretty strongly when I changed it. I had great luck with Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast in a dark blue packet.

you want 2 x 2 litre bottle on a 5 gallon tank ? i use 2 on a 90 gallon and sometimes adjust powerhead to break the surface after a new mix because it can get too high.

I'd probably only use two 20oz bottles on a 5 gallon, or two 1 liter bottles on a 10 gallon. For a 90 gallon aquarium I'd expect you'd have to have about nine 2 liter bottles to get sufficient CO2 levels. Are you using a special mix? What sort of diffusion?

Back
Top Bottom