Epoxy? For people who have built 3D backgrounds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've come so far, and now I'm just on the epoxy resin part for my 3D background.

Can anyone link me a product... cause I've been to Home Depot/Menards and haven't been able to find what in the world I'm supposed to use.

hey cee. please check at the cichlid forum and they can point u in the right direction. i've tried home depot and lowes and they have no clue what i'm talking about ,so get a specific brand name.

what i have found at pinch a penny pool store is Olympic epoxy paint for pools. only draw back is the price...about 70 bucks for a quart and the hardener. ur other option is colored concrete, but it has to be flushed many times to get the ph in check.

good luck and please post pics when ur done.!

HA! Homedepot is a joke when it comes to specialized coatings.

I have used this before as well as his other products.
Delivered, It was cheaper than buying from local marine dealers.
Go to ebay and put the item # in the search window.
Item number: 280208100731

Home depot most certainly sells epoxy resin... It is in the paint dept. It is used in fiberglass construction. It is only one part, not a two stage like the good stuff if I remember correctly.

so what's the name of the product sick? every time i ask them they have no idea what i;m talking about...as if i am from another planet!

If I 'member correctly, I used to buy Bondo brand Polyester resin from HD...

Compared to the good stuff, it's not much less money, but you gotta buy the "good stuff" in 5 gallons to get the savings. It is a good enough product, also available at most ACE type hardware stores and the like...

Also, check a marine industry store, may depend on where you live... You can also check with wood working suppliers. They usually have it... It's gonna dissolve your styro, though, remember that! It is much easier than cement, too, IMO.

Oh, and disregard my earlier post that it is one stage, cause I remember having to but extra hardener from HD too... It is a two-step Polyester resin.

Be careful about confusing polyester resins with epoxy. Different critters all together when you talk about composition and reaction. I have worked extensively with both over the last 20 years. Some polyester resins (commonly known as fiberglass resin) will leach MEKP for a while if not mixed correctly and will retain some on the surface after it kicks. They can also have the waxy additive (DD-130) that makes it sandable on the surface. Personally, I don't use anything but food grade or FDA acceptable epoxies for my fishies.

PS: epoxy doesn't melt styro forms.

Be careful about confusing polyester resins with epoxy. Different critters all together when you talk about composition and reaction. I have worked extensively with both over the last 20 years. Some polyester resins (commonly known as fiberglass resin) will leach MEKP for a while if not mixed correctly and will retain some on the surface after it kicks. They can also have the waxy additive (DD-130) that makes it sandable on the surface. Personally, I don't use anything but food grade or FDA acceptable epoxies for my fishies.

PS: epoxy doesn't melt styro forms.

All true. I think I never had problems because I run so much activated carbon, and I don't add live stock for a long time (weeks or more) after I install the background.

Back
Top Bottom