Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Make a radiator. On the pump to the tank, split line into 5 0r 6 lines. cover the lines in copper. Then blow fans on them. Then bring them back together to go into tank. It would take some trial and error but I think it would be possible.

Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
would fans cool the water enough to get down between 50s-60s? that's his goal, not just normal water temp

Henry405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
Fans can only cool to ambient. Beyond that, you need some sort of refrigeration.
~ Danny
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to sudz
Fans can very inefficiently cool below ambient - The process of evaporation. When I lived with my folks, my room would be a nice 88 to 90 degrees in the summer. I hooked up 3 12 volt Computer fans to a piece of plywood and aimed them down at the water - the tank cooled down to 4 degrees below room temperature. (84ish) to save my fish when I wasn't around to do cool water changes. The water level would drop quite a bit... almost half an inch a day on a 44 gallon corner tank.

*edit* just saw 50-60*f... Yeah, no way with this method. *foot in mouth*

Ever heard of these:

Piezoelectric coolers - Relatively efficient, but you'd need a big one!!! Nice thing is that they are silent.

There are some portable fridges that use this - You might be able to cannibalize one for 60 bucks? I have one at my desk at work made by mobicool.
"In this hobby - Bad things happen over night... The good things take time."
In Progress: 75 Gallon Planted Discus tank
Baby Sitting: 10 Gal Tank with single Convict
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
The easiest way would be a mini fridge with copper tubing coiled in a tub of water, where you then pump water through the tubing. A similar way would be to use a TEC (thermoelectric cooler), but these are fairly inefficient, and the hot side gets very hot, where you'd need a pretty big radiator (relative to the size of the TEC)
~ Danny
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
The problem with a mini fridge is they are meant to keep foods cold, not to cool warm foods. Without going into a bunch of science mumbo jumbo, a mini fridge is a weak cooling system. If all you need are a couple degrees then it might work for you.

I've heard a de-humidifier or air conditioner can be used to cool tanks fairly well. The cooling system on those units are quite powerful. Set it up as a cold water bath, and run a coil into the bath, and another coil in your sump. A temperature controlled water pump circulates the water between the two coils.

One thing to keep in mind on a DIY cooling system. When the cooling system turns off because the water is cool enough, will there still be a large volume of cold water cooling the tank?

I'm planning a temperate/cold water fish tank sometime in the future and this is how I'm currently planning on cooling it.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" A. Einstein
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
"We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough." Helen Keller
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
You could look into water cooling and extreme cooling for computers to get ideas. I use to do water cooling years ago, I'm sure there are things that could be taken from there and applied to aquariums, and for a reasonable price. I saw a guy cool his cpu down to -29 F, spending $ 150 for parts at a junk yard. I don't think it should be to hard to keep an aquarium at the temps you want. You'll just have to do research out side the realm of this hobby to get some more ideas.

MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote

filtration, filtration system, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com