Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
ok.. sizing a skimmer..
if the skimmer just keeps on skimming and skimming and skimming non-stop and never slows down perpeturaly.. its undersized
if after a 4 months or so (depending on how long the system has ran without a big enough skimmer) your skimmer only skims hard after you feed or do something else like stick your hands in the tank.. the skimmer is big enough..

Old 11-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think the plan looks sound. I would not be concerned about using overflow boxes. I have never had any trouble with them. Drilling a 55 may be more convenient, but that is about it. (IMO)

Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sounds fine to me but given the chance I would make it drilled like everyone else is suggesting and use bulkheads to act as the overflow drain. A couple holes that are about 1" in diamater drilled like 2/3ed the way up the tank wall with bulkhead fittings will permit the refuge to drain.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to formanbob
OK what I would do ?

First, ( like the other said) Drill the Fuge, don’t play around with a anything else. If something goes wrong your main tank well keep sending water while your fudge over flows.

Ok with that settled.

Now from the drain of your display install a T over the fuge with a valve, and then a pipe into the fuge on the opposite side. Set the valve to a ¼ of the flow. The drilled hole will just run to the sump. After the T over the fuge continue the drain into your sump.

That Is mainly it.
5g FW Planted Dwarf Puffer 19w PC
formanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the help everyone... you've given me great ideas. One more question--

When I place my 6" sand bed in the refugium, should I build it with or with-out a plenum?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyReefMan
When I place my 6" sand bed in the refugium, should I build it with or with-out a plenum?
WOW! what a new can of worms.. LOL

for one a plenum doesnt require 6" of sand..
then.. what species of coarl are you keeping DSB's/plenum's are not the best idea for SPS/stonys IMO.. but of course this is the sump.. :P
the question is when was the last time you heard anyone having trouble with sulferdioxide releasing in there tank with a DSB? thats pretty much the only advantage to the plenium/Monico/Jambert method.. less likely to release sulfer.. but.. with the proper critters the DSB doesnt have the those issues and they seem to be alot easier to set up from what Ive seen.. its kinda up to you..
if you deside on the plenum do some searching online for the best depths for the bed..
Old 11-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

6" why so much? I will never run a DSB again in anything. They have there place but IMO not worth the risk.
I have a 15 gal tall fuge hooked to my 125 reef and I had it set up for about 2.5 years. I used SD sand and had around 5-6" in there. Every thing was fine until a few months ago when I was taking out some rubble to mount frags on, what a smell of rotten eggs on the rubble. So I was this is not going to be good, so I started keeping an eye on the fuge and a few months passed. One day there was a fog forming above the SB in the fuge and over a few days the fog formed to about 5" above the SB. I was ok this is not good so I had to break the fuge down. What a PIA and what a smell!! It stunk the whole house up like rotten eggs for hours and I checked the SB for life and only found 1 worm. So after this I will never use anymore then a 2-3" sand bed. JMO and experience.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Seaham. It's great to hear about someone's actual experience with this. I'm sorry that yours was so negative. After hearing that story, I'll be going much shallower.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im not sure why substrate is even needed in the fuge... any reason for putting substrate in your fuge? I like the idea of having it elevated and being able to see the debris that settle in it so that it can be syponed out durring water changes.. but Im sure these are just system design decisons that we all have to make.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by formanbob
First, ( like the other said) Drill the Fuge, don’t play around with a anything else. If something goes wrong your main tank well keep sending water while your fudge over flows.
I never said that external overflows were bad.. it is just considered the weak link in any plumbing system.. that doesnt mean that it's a very weak link.. you could never have problems with one and that would be perfectly normal.. (every time I've read of problems with overflows it seemed that it was an instalation/user error problem, not enough flow for the design of the overflow or what have you) bulkheads are just more failsafe.. thats all JMHO..

Tags
set-up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com