Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Indy, Some people run DSB and have no issues, The main reason for a DSB would be the denitrification process that a DSb can have. Its my under standing this helps with the export of excess nitrates. Some say that in small tanks we can not have enough sand to really make a difference. With regular water changes, enough LR and macro or caluerpa a DSB is not needed IMO. Steve-S may correct me on the denitrification!!

So I run a few inches because I like the way it looks and it gives the critters a place to live. Some fish need a SB so running a few inches in the tank is also a good idea. But people are now running bare bottom and that may be then next trend in the hobby. The one sure thing in this hobby is that there are many ways to set up a tank and there are many more opinions on this subject out there also.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Indy, Some people run DSB and have no issues, The main reason for a DSB would be the denitrification process that a DSb can have.
Thanks, Seaham. I've heard about the potential toxic side-effects of DSB's before. Your unfortunate experience just sealed my decision. I put in 3" last night. I think I'll stick with that... why take a chance. I may even be able to get a little denitrification with it. Greenmaji mentioned earlier about putting in no substrate. Another reason why I choose to put in sand is to make it look more natural. My daughter has been bugging me all year for seahorses. This refugium would be a good place to try them out. Heck, some day I could partition it off, increase the flow, and use it as a propogation tank. This addition to my system gives me a lot of flexibility, not to mention the increased stability thru increased system volume.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seahorses are real cool, but they tend to be hard to keep. Do some research before you jump into that area. Some people in the reef club Im in have them and they are very dedicated to them, they require special foods and care and they also like taller tanks rather then long ones.
I have a 35 tall empty just waiting for me to set it up for the ponies... The wife really wants them, which is good because I got the green light to get what ever I need for them. I am thinking maybe another year down the road before i go with them.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Seahorses are real cool, but they tend to be hard to keep.
I've heard that too. I've also heard that tank raised are much easier to care for and will eat previously frozen mysis shrimp. With a refugium this size and lots of chaeto, I'm hoping that they will be able to find some live pods to eat as well.

Tags
set-up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com