Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I picked up a 55 from a buddy today it is nasty but it doesn't leak. So he broke the center brace out of it by being an idiot. Long story. But anyways the top support is gone. I have about 5 different ideas on how to fix it I've been tossing through my head. Well anyways I'd like to know how you have fixed this problem, problems you ran into, success you have had and failures. My tank is a standard 55gallon 48x12x20" and the support I'd broken off clean from the trim. And no I do not have it. Thank you for all yalls input.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All I did was get some 12x10 glass from home depot, cut it half then siliconed the 2 pieces together, then siliconed the the glass just below the frame on the inside (siliconing glass to glass, not glass to plastic frame) and let it cure for 72 hours and done! Still holding strong 4 months later. Glass size would of course depend on tank depth, and how wide you want it, is say 3 inches minimum width. Clamps help in the processes, some to hold the glass center piece from falling before the silicone cures.

That's what I did, of course there are many other options

Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can actually buy all new rims from glasscages.com They are really cheap, too.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

About $30 from GlassCages.com for a 55. Mine has a cracked center brace as well, and I'm still undecided if I want to buy a new top, or just rig it up.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you guys for the ideas now one more question is there a way to convert it to rimless like if I did 2 glass supports.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually I really like this if I could this cut in one piece how thick and how wide should I get it done. Or would it be better as 2 or 4 pieces so it has some flex. I'd like it to look as clean as possible bit still be strong. I'm thinkin 1/4" thick 2.1/4" wide
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry sorry pic didn't post.

Name:   107993d1361234316t-these-best-bracing-method-glass-aquarium-2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  3.5 KB

Actually I think if I did just corner supports and a 11.5x4x1/2" center support that should be enough support for a 55 to not bust correct? Or no? If possible id rather do that i think it would look cleaner and so I have room to get a nice piece of driftwood in there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com