Extending a pre-build tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LauraMarx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Aquarium Advice!

I am sorry to make an account and immediately ask for help, I am sure it is very rude :( but I am a fair bit desperate and not sure where to turn!

I will cut the story short and tell you the facts: circumstances have it that I have to house an adult common goldfish in a tank ASAP. I bought it the biggest tank I can afford right now - about 20 US gallons. But it has come to my attention that this is not big enough for a common goldfish! It needs a tank twice this size!

So I am saving up for a much bigger tank. But this takes time, I am not from money eh :/ So I am looking at emergency solutions, DIY solutions! So I am thinking of extending the tank that I have. But I have no idea how to do this >< I googled as hard as I could but haven't really found a lot of info on it. I have two ideas:

My first idea is to take one side of the tank off and add some more glass, extending the tank lengthwise. But it strikes me as no simple job, huh... I will need glass, glass cutting equipment, a place to cut glass, etc...

My other idea is to obtain an acryllic condo or basking tank intended for amphibians. They are relatively cheap really, and they sit on top of the tank. I can take the basking area out entirely and just fill it up with water, and voila... Making it watertight is the only issue, though. I have no idea how to do this. I am thinking of sealing it with epoxy putty? I have no idea if it will work...

Anyway... this is my current dilemma. Hopefully I can talk to someone about this, maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

Thanks so much for reading,
all the best
Laura.

Hello Aquarium Advice!

I am sorry to make an account and immediately ask for help, I am sure it is very rude :( but I am a fair bit desperate and not sure where to turn!

I will cut the story short and tell you the facts: circumstances have it that I have to house an adult common goldfish in a tank ASAP. I bought it the biggest tank I can afford right now - about 20 US gallons. But it has come to my attention that this is not big enough for a common goldfish! It needs a tank twice this size!

So I am saving up for a much bigger tank. But this takes time, I am not from money eh :/ So I am looking at emergency solutions, DIY solutions! So I am thinking of extending the tank that I have. But I have no idea how to do this >< I googled as hard as I could but haven't really found a lot of info on it. I have two ideas:

My first idea is to take one side of the tank off and add some more glass, extending the tank lengthwise. But it strikes me as no simple job, huh... I will need glass, glass cutting equipment, a place to cut glass, etc...

My other idea is to obtain an acryllic condo or basking tank intended for amphibians. They are relatively cheap really, and they sit on top of the tank. I can take the basking area out entirely and just fill it up with water, and voila... Making it watertight is the only issue, though. I have no idea how to do this. I am thinking of sealing it with epoxy putty? I have no idea if it will work...

Anyway... this is my current dilemma. Hopefully I can talk to someone about this, maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

Thanks so much for reading,
all the best
Laura.

Personally I'd take the goldfish back until you can get a bigger tank. There is tons of tropical fish that can live in a 20g with a heater. Tetras, danios, rasporas, guppies, bettas, ADF, shrimp... The list goes on. All those need apart from a goldfish is a heater sized for 20 gallons and tropical flakes instead of goldfish flakes. If you can part with him I'd go that route instead of trying to extend the tank. Work with what you have till you can upsize.

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g ick is fixed! 5 White skirt tetras. Soon to add Corys
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

No worries about your first post seeking help and welcome !! Using anything designed for amphibians is not a good idea. Generally the glass is a bit thinner as they're not intended to hold the same volume of water. As well, the other issue is the volume they need are length and width. Height will have no positive results. As mentioned above, your best bet is to return it or find a new home with someone that has the proper setup to house it.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom