Extreme Novice Needing Lighting Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absinthena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone reading! About a month ago I bought a used 55 G Aquarium w/ custom canopy at a yard sale. The owner said it was a reef aquarium which was why there was 4 flourescent bulbs. I took it all home and noticed the bulbs were connected to little end sockets which were connected to ballasts. However, everything was corroded - same bad some hardly at all. So, I took everything apart and threw away the bad ballasts, keeping the decent endcap things.
I bought new ballasts with the same specs: 120 Volts, 60 Htz, .61 Amps for Rapid Start Lamps. It looks like they will work w/ 2 lamps.

So, here are my questions... Will the unit still work with one lamp instead of two? Also, am I on the right path? If I bought 2 30 W for the 55G and connected them to a ballast using the diagram, is this correct?

Also, did the orignal owner's stuff get corroded because he had nothing between the water and the lamps? I'm guessing that is why everything seemed so bad off.

Annnd, can I use aluminum foil as a light reflector?

Lastly and this is just out of curiosity... What fish do people suggest for a saltwater tank? I don't want corals just because I dont think I will be able to sustain them w/ school and work. Also, are planted saltwater tanks common?

Thanks a lot guys.

Anne

It sounds like it was a VHO ballast and the lights where VHO bulbs. A regular ballast wont lamp these bulbs properly.

His stuff got croded becasue he got water or saltwater mosture on them and did not wipe them off. The ballast should not be placed in the canopy if it can be avoided. They should be placed remotly so as to not add heat to the tank and to keep safe from water.

Your last question is best answered in one of the SW forums as to not clutter up the lighting questions.

fishfreek said:
It sounds like it was a VHO ballast and the lights where VHO bulbs. A regular ballast wont lamp these bulbs properly.

He had 2 ballasts w/ 4 bulbs. The bulbs were all 30 W. Thats not VHO is it?

If they say 30W then no they are not VHO they would be NO.

The new ballast should come with a wiring diagram printed on it or on the box that it came in. I belive it will depend on the ballast weather if it will light just a single bulb or if it requires two bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom