Faster tank siphoning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Was wondering what setups people had for faster tank siphoning? I use a python now, and it's nice and all, but I'd like to speed it up a bit because the water flow at the shop makes for a very slow water change process. (2-3 hours) I'm definitely going to have to speed it up because there are plans for about 3 times as much water as we have in there now.

Anyone using a pump of some kind? If so, how is it rigged up? Thanks!

I dont have an exact answer and im hoping someone has a better suggestion but this what i tried yesterday. I moved my fish to another tank & got out the big wet/dry shop vac with a small attachment & piece of pantyhose over the end & sucked the water out rather quickly...dumping it out was a pain in the butt though! Trying to come up with a better way though to use the vacs motor/power...

jetajockey said:
Was wondering what setups people had for faster tank siphoning? I use a python now, and it's nice and all, but I'd like to speed it up a bit because the water flow at the shop makes for a very slow water change process. (2-3 hours) I'm definitely going to have to speed it up because there are plans for about 3 times as much water as we have in there now.

Anyone using a pump of some kind? If so, how is it rigged up? Thanks!

2-3 hours? Wow that's long! Takes me no joke 20 minutes to do a 50% wc and refill using the python. Done 1 2 3 and that's a wrap!

The shop vac sucked out 30gals in about ten secs flat. Rolled it outside & dumped it. Refilling took bit longer though.

Just throwing this out there but couldn't you rig up a shop vac with a bulkhead and hose leading to your drain or outside or would it not suck with an open end

Wont suck with an open end but im still thinking on this! In respect to the 500gals, maybe you could consider a pump for draining a pond??

On some saltwater set-ups I've seen the tanks are drilled midway down in the back with a shut-off valve. When its time for a water change, open the value and then refill. Quick and easy if you have it set-up so you can run a drain hose off the drain valve. Course, not sure how hard it would be for you to drill all those tanks.

Yeah, some kind of water pump is what I was thinking, just getting some ideas on which one would work best.

I'm really not trying to ghetto it all out especially since it'll be used inside a store.

If I had the tanks drilled I'd just install overflows and do a continuous drip system, I'm planning that eventually for my home tanks but not for the shop tanks, at least not the ones I have set up now.

I know I have the almost same issues when it comes to my bigger tanks. For me it's draining the tanks though. Takes for flippin' ever and doesn't get all the poo. My husband is looking at pumps to hook to the python to give it better suction for draining.

Refilling is quick however. Ever since we replaced that whole piece that hooks to the faucet and you twist to fill/drain, it doesn't take long.

I use a marineland maxi jet powerhead to drain mine. I just hooked the output of the powerhead onto a gravel vacuum. I imagine if you got a bigger powerhead and a longer hose it'd work.

What about an external aquarium pump with a piece of tubing attached to use as a siphon? The return line could simply be ran into a bucket or tube if you don't have a drain handy. The Beckett Corperation used to make a good small one (MD-400A) that I used for years that wasn't too expensive. Don't think they still do, but should be able to find something similar.

^displacement is key.

try using something like a pitcher and attach 2"+ diameter hose. watch the water disappear within minutes

Get a mag pump with an input and output. Hook up your hoses and your done.
This is the way I do it and it works great. I connect a 25' hose to the mag pump and another 25' running outside. Simple clean and effective.

Back
Top Bottom