My first big diy project that is aquarium-based. I realized the utility shelving may have held the 20L with no problem but didn't want to risk it with a 29g saltwater. It just made me nervous. Plus I could make it look much nicer and I could customize it the way I want. The stand is 39"T x 13"D x 31"W.
I do not have a sump on this tank so I'm not worried about putting another tank under it. I have three shelves- the bottom to hold my salt/a bucket of RO
water, middle for equipment/test kit, bottles, meds, ect; and I have a small top half shelf that will serve as a resting place for my air pump, excess cords, my current ramp, ext.
Ran into a lot of problems, even cuts being the most problematic. I had my dad help me since he has all the tools, which was a circular saw- I thought he had a table saw for some reason. I think that created the most problems. When we had the main "skeleton" together it rocked, did a lot of sanding/rescrewing. Turns out parts of his garage wasn't level either which added even more of a headache- it would rock on part of the garage and felt stable if we moved it two feet over. Ended up using shims as well.
Basic stand "skeleton". Used 2x4's (which after planning I found out were actually 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"). Placed a 1/2inch plywood on the top and bottom. For almost the whole project I used wood screws I had left over from building my "catio", which were I believe 3" or 3 1/2" long.
My dad and I sat on the top to make sure it could hold, Rin ended up jumping on my lap as well- no cracks and it didn't wiggle. I originally wanted to add four more 2x4's but my dad convinced me that would be overkill.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice