Fill in drilled out holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ninjajim4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 75 gallon aquarium I bought to use as a semi aquatic terrarium, but it was used previously as a reef tank and has some holes drilled in the bottom of it.

Please see attached. There are two sets of two holes, one 1.5" and the other 2", or thereabouts. There is one set in each of the two rear corners.

So again, I want to use as a semi aquatic terrarium meaning these holes have to be water tight. I will not fill more than 6" of water or so, so the strength doesn't have to be as heavy as if I were to fill the thing to the top.

One corner will be hidden by a platform so I don't care how it looks, but the other corner I will have a filter/fountain and would like it to be as flat as possible.

I hope this is an easy fix but I really have no idea where to start and beginning to regret not just buying one intact. It's just it was a good deal and I drove a long way to pick it up before discovering it had been drilled, so I just took the thing!!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20191022_194443[1].jpg
    20191022_194443[1].jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20191022_194439[1].jpg
    20191022_194439[1].jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190924_142613[1].jpg
    20190924_142613[1].jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 77
They seem to be over flows so water shouldn't get there until it's a few inches from the top. I could be wrong? You can clean the surface with acetone and a scraper, real good. Get a piece of glass big enough to cover and ge 1 silicone. Apply silicone evenly and liberally, squish glass down firmly and place decent weight on top for 24 hrs.

You are right, they are overflows(didnt know what they were called) but I do want to take those out too. I could just leave them and not patch anything but i think its a waste of space and a bit unsightly too.

Where do I get glass? How do I know how thick to get? a little worried about the edges being too sharp too? though i think it wont be exposed due to the filter fountain thing.

thanks a ton!!

You can get picture frame glass at home goods store. You can sand edges with a metal file or sanding block (carefully wearing heavy leather gloves).

Wow, picture frame glass is thick enough? Thanks for the tip on sanding -- never occurred to me.

I was thinking of possible capping the holes with some PVC caps or something. Is resin an option?

If I use your suggested way, I was thinking also of using the glass from an old aquarium I was going to discard anyway, but I don't know how to cut it...

Am I overthinking this whole thing?? :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom