Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainFalls View Post
The pet store said to change the filter every four weeks is that accurate and should I do things differently because this Tank was just started
Well, where did I hear that before......oh yeah, from the two LFS in my town. I don't bother asking/taking advice from those guys/gals anymore. Many AA members have been told the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainFalls View Post
This is so hard to know what to do. I recently did a water change. I think the small amount of decay from the plants may be going into the filter and clogging it. I have other filter cartridges but have been told not to use them because it would kill the bacteria in the tank and mess up the over all quality of the water. The water looks great and so do the fish but the waters coming out of the side of the filter instead of through the filter. Ugh.
Give the filter a good clean, using old tank water. Make sure not to let any media dry out. A turkey baster is a great tool for sucking any gunk from a HOB in between cleaning. For the debris, use a pre-filter sponge on the intake pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_01210137.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	204719  
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Well, where did I hear that before......oh yeah, from the two LFS in my town. I don't bother asking/taking advice from those guys/gals anymore. Many AA members have been told the same. Give the filter a good clean, using old tank water. Make sure not to let any media dry out. A turkey baster is a great tool for sucking any gunk from a HOB in between cleaning. For the debris, use a pre-filter sponge on the intake pipe.
That's funny you should say that I just buy turkey baster the other day without anyone telling me to. Felt like a genius. lol. I rinsed off the filter and then we filled the water with clean water and it seems to be much better thank you for all your help. Have a 20 gallon to set up still and I'm really nervous about it I can't really keep my little tank going. But no casualties yet!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll have 4-5 tanks in no time....hahah
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With that issue taken care of I feel the need to point out that guppies need a bigger tank than the 2.5g you currently have. Honestly the only fish that comes to mind as being a good fit for a tank that size is a betta.

Also, while it doesn't seem like it; larger tanks are easier to care for. There is more water volume which means a slower change in parameters.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
With that issue taken care of I feel the need to point out that guppies need a bigger tank than the 2.5g you currently have. Honestly the only fish that comes to mind as being a good fit for a tank that size is a betta.

Also, while it doesn't seem like it; larger tanks are easier to care for. There is more water volume which means a slower change in parameters.
I was just going to point out about the size thing. Also, are you using dechlorinator at all and do you have a liquid test kit?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com